Visitor Experience Specialist (Part-time)
*A cover letter is required with application.*
Summary: The Visitor Experience Specialist is instrumental in creating an exceptional experience for Museum visitors. Assists with oversight of the Museum lobby and entrance area to ensure a welcoming, comfortable, and inspiring experience for visitors, guests, and other staff members. This includes but is not limited to reception of visitors, processing admissions, orienting visitors, answering basic visitor questions, communicating Museum guidelines, telephone and administrative reception, and merchandise sales. As front-line representatives of the Museum, the Visitor Experience Specialist displays a friendly and confident demeanor, demonstrates a strong understanding of the Museum and its guiding principles, follows best practices and Museum standards in interacting with visitors, and advises colleagues on pertinent issues related to the visitor experience. This is a temporary, part-time position.
- Upholds Museum’s service standards.
- Manages the reception of visitors, admissions, telephone and administrative reception, orientation materials, and merchandise sales.
- Sets expectations and makes suggestions for the visitor’s experience through effective listening and communication related to the visitor’s itinerary and agenda.
- Facilitates and directs visitor inquiries to the appropriate staff person to ensure exceptional service.
- Assists with oversight of the reception area.
- Receives and processes admission and sales payments and reports including cash, checks, credit cards, etc.
- Records visitation data by zip code and visitor type; provides daily visitation and accounting reports.
- Supports the Museum’s External Relations efforts.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- High school diploma with one year of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Enthusiasm for working with people, experience with customer service, and excellent guest-focused service skills
- Ability to demonstrate effective communication skills both verbally and in writing; strong interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in the use of computers, email, and have a willingness to learn new technology.
- Ability to communicate effectively over extended periods of time with guests, sometimes in groups over ambient noise.
- Possess general office management skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel), the internet, and other related software; ability to learn basic technology tools.
- Typing accuracy and attention to detail. Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Ability to become familiar with calendar of events, organization chart in order to direct calls or queries to proper department, telephone system, and cash handling procedures including cash register.
- Ability to multitask, organize projects and workflow, and coordinate activities.
- Ability to be customer service oriented.
- Record keeping skills.
- Ability to answer questions about the historic site and collections or ability to learn in a short period of time.
- Knowledge of the current exhibitions and events or ability to acquire knowledge in a short period of time.
- Ability to work some weekends and occasional evenings, as needed.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Interest in lifelong learning, art, and history.
- Responsible for own work only.
Note: This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.
Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce, and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States