Cloud Systems Architect
*Cover letter is required with application.*
Summary: The Cloud Systems Architect is responsible for providing technical leadership in support of Wake Forest University’s initiatives in cloud computing and automation, with a focus on the design of systems and services that run on cloud platforms. This position also will be responsible for ensuring that critical applications are designed and optimized for high availability and disaster recovery.
- Demonstrates knowledge of cloud architecture and implementation features (i.e. OS, multi-tenancy, virtualization, orchestration, and elastic scalability).
- Acts as subject matter expert to the organization in migrating services to the AWS (Amazon Web Services) cloud as part of the Cloud First direction.
- Maintains overall industry knowledge on latest trends and technology.
- Develops architecture solutions and evaluates architectural alternatives for private, public, and hybrid cloud models, including IaaS, PaaS, and other cloud services.
- Defines optimal design patterns and solutions for high availability and disaster recovery for applications.
- Acts as a resource for application teams to adopt cloud architecture and leverage industry leading public cloud providers.
- Researches, operationalizes, and trains others in the use of cloud technologies and best practices.
- Enhances and evangelizes the DevOps principles (i.e. infrastructure as code, continuous integration and delivery, and designing for failure).
- Drives scope definition, requirement analysis, functional and technical design, application build, product configuration, unit testing, and production deployment.
- Ensures delivered solutions meets/performs to technical and functional/non-functional requirements.
- Provides technical expertise and ownership in the diagnosis and resolution of an issue, including the determination and provision of workaround solution or escalation to service owners.
- Ensures delivered solutions are realized in the timeframe committed and works in conjunction with project sponsors to size and manages the scope and risk.
- Provides support and technical governance, expertise related to cloud architectures, deployment, and operations.
- Provides thought leadership in higher education and to fellow team members across business and technical project dimensions solving complex business requirements.
- Advocates and defines the cloud architecture vision from a strategic perspective (i.e. internal and external platforms, tools, and systems).
- Acts as the Coach and mentors team members and technical staff on their assigned project tasks.
- Leads the definition and development of cloud reference architecture and management systems.
- Conducts product work reviews with team members.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Systems Analysis, or combination of education and experience. Demonstrated knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux or CentOS systems administration.
- Five plus years of experience spanning at least two IT disciplines (i.e. technical architecture, network management, systems administration, middleware, or database management/operations).
- Experience with AWS and VMWare enterprise implementations, AWS Cloud Formation, and Lambda.
- Experience with configuration management (Ansible, Puppet), containerization (Docker), and automation tools (Jenkins).
- Experience with one or more programming languages (i.e. Ruby, Python, and Perl).
- Exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments.
- Knowledge of all components of a technical architecture.
- Knowledge of business process, re-engineering principles, and processes.
- Strong understanding of network architecture and application development methodologies.
- Demonstrates leadership ability to back decisions with research and the “why”. Articulate several options, the pros and cons for each, and a recommendation.
- Demonstrates forward thinking around where the organization is going and how technology can support these efforts.
- Accountable for maintaining the security and confidentiality of any proprietary, sensitive information/data in any medium regarding the university, its students, faculty, or staff. Accessing or disclosing such information/data must be deemed necessary for the performance of one’s job responsibilities and must be authorized by the employee’s supervisor.
- A ‘can-do’ attitude to meet challenges; energized by change and thriving in team-based work.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and customer service skills and ability to establish good working relationship with a wide range of people within an academic community.
- Project and time management skills, with the ability to manage completing priorities.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Experience working in a research or academic environment.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional.
- Experience as a team lead.
- Responsible for own work.
Note: This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.
Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce, and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States