UNIX Systems Administrator (Level I)
*Cover letter is required with application.*
Summary: The UNIX Systems Administrator (Level I) is responsible for the installation, configuration, and maintenance of Linux operating systems and server hardware. This position also ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, policies, and standards.
- Recognizes and troubleshoots problems with Linux server hardware, operating systems, and applications software.
- Solves end user problems in an escalated support environment.
- Facilitates operating system enhancements to improve the reliability and performance of Linux
- Follows standard procedures for analyzing information and determining course of action.
- Interacts with customers to gather data, provide information, or resolve lower-level technical issues. May interact with peers in other functional areas to exchange information or coordinate activities between functional areas.
- Accountable for maintaining the security and confidentiality of any proprietary, sensitive information, or data in any medium regarding the university, its students, faculty, or staff. Accessing or disclosing such information or data must be deemed necessary for the performance of one’s job responsibilities and must be authorized by the employee’s supervisor.
- Available to work after hours and/or weekends, and on-call, as specified by supervisor.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree plus related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of Linux computer operations and familiarity with shell programming and scripting.
- Ability to work on routine projects or issues.
- Ability to use professional knowledge to analyze information and resolve problems.
- Ability to follow detailed instructions on work assignments.
- Understanding that errors can result in delaying the work of others and may have minimal financial impact.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) certification.
- Ability to develop programs with programming languages (i.e. bash, Perl or Python).
- Familiarity with application software (i.e. Apache, Tomcat or sendmail).
- Familiarity with configuration management tools (i.e. Puppet or CFEngine).
- Operational knowledge of Oracle and MySQL.
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Hands on experience with enterprise class server hardware.
- Responsible for own work.
Note: This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.
Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce, and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States