Part-time Teacher for Challenger Learning Center
Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: Aurora University seeks a multi-talented individual who facilitates programming in support of the Challenger Center for Science and Technology (CLCST). The part-time teacher must demonstrate exemplary presentation and teaching skills. This position facilitates programming in Mission Control, Space Station, and Classroom areas. activities. This is a part-time school year position who reports directly to the CLCST Lead Flight Director.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- After proper training, will independently facilitate programming in Mission Control, the Space Station module, and the hands-on science classrooms.
- After proper training, facilitates orientation room pre-briefing, mid-mission briefing in Mission Control, and post-briefing in orientation room when time allows.
- Assists with greeting of school groups upon arrival in the morning and departure of school groups in the afternoon.
- Performs program set-up and clean-up on a daily basis including supplies and materials inventory.
- Attends staff meetings.
- Arrives at the Center on scheduled days with sufficient time to prepare for programming responsibilities.
- Makes arrangements for substitute teaching staff if own absence is required.
- Addresses a wide variety of audiences on an ongoing basis (i.e. teachers, parents, children, school administrators, politicians, business community, etc.)
- Provides facilitation for a variety of CLCST programming including, but not limited to, teacher workshops, student workshops, special events, corporate missions, and camps.
- Assists in program evaluation and curriculum development as requested.
- Interprets/articulates/communicates scientific principles associated with the simulations.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Major in elementary or middle education preferred.
- Current elementary or secondary teaching certificate or equivalent
- 2 to 3 years teaching experience preferred, with at least one year at the 5th - 9th grade level.
- Experience with curriculum development
- Proficiency in use and maintenance of computers.
- Ability to teach and provide an enthusiastic, positive, experiential, learning environment.
- Strong presentation and communication skills, both with children and adults required.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues.
- Good leadership, organizational, and management skills.
- Valid Illinois driver’s license.
- Flexibility to work a varied schedule.
- Ability to occasionally travel to off-site events, and businesses, providing own vehicle.
- Ability to work some evenings and/or weekend hours for special events.
- Physical effort and dexterity-ability to manipulate props and technical equipment, including some light lifting and moving of materials.
- Ability to move about at the facility, to include simulation materials and technical equipment.
- Ability to move about to off-site activities.
- Ability to interact via telephone, in person and via electronic media.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission included. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
email@example.com - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to becoming a model university of the twenty-first century. Toward this effort we are determined to have a faculty, staff, and student body reflecting the cultural demographics of the Greater Chicago land Area.