P/T Academic & Career Advisor-Life Map Commons (2 positions)-non-benefitted
Category: Part Time Non-Benefited Positions
Department: Life Map Commons
Locations: Boston, MA
Posted: Aug 03, '17
Type: Part-time Non-Exempt
About Bunker Hill Community College:
Bunker Hill Community College is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, Massachusetts, in nearby Chelsea, Massachusetts, and at three satellite locations in the Greater Boston area. Recently re-certified as a Leader College by Achieving the Dream, BHCC is part of the Massachusetts public higher education system, which includes 15 community colleges. Founded in 1973, BHCC is the largest community college in Massachusetts, serving more than 14,000 students each semester across all modes of instruction. The College offers more than 100 certificate and degree programs that prepare students to enter four-year institutions or to enter the workforce prepared for better and more highly skilled jobs. Sixty-seven percent of students are people of color and more than 50 percent are women.
We are looking for individuals aligned with our institutional values of access and success, excellence and innovation, economic and social justice, inclusiveness and equity, civic engagement and service, kindness and respect, and accountability and transparency. Individuals with a dedication to a dynamic educational environment, investment in the social and economic well-being of all, and belief in student-centered learning in an engaging, supportive environment are sought to fill the following position.
Living in Boston
Boston prides itself on being one of the most livable cities in America. Twenty-one diverse neighborhoods offer more than 600,000 residents the opportunity to taste, touch, and experience things from all over the world. Neighbors benefit from exceptional medical facilities, vibrant neighborhood business districts, and a solid network of parks, community centers, and libraries. For more information about Boston go to: http://www.cityofboston.gov/residents.
Part-time academic and career advisor who works directly with students in one-on-one and group settings, and collaborates with faculty and staff in a diverse, community college setting.
- Assist students in person and over the phone with questions related to academic programs, coursework, advising and admissions/registration policies and procedures.
- Teach students how to utilize the online services available through BHCC Self Service.
- Aid students in resolution of academic challenges.
- Assist students in developing short term and long term academic & career goals and plans, identifying appropriate programs and coursework, and in creating an electronic educational plan.
- Assist students with career planning, i.e. researching potential careers, choosing a major and developing a resume.
- Assist in developing and facilitating workshops related to student development.
- Refer students to appropriate student support services.
- Participate in staff meetings and related campus events and activities.
- Utilize the student information system (Ellucian Colleague) and or Zogotech to access information regarding students' program of study, current and past course selection and academic standing.
- Bachelor's degree; Master's degree preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented
- Experience working with diverse populations in a community college (or non-profit) within and urban setting
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook; and ability to learn new software and online systems
- Proven ability to work with a diverse faculty, staff and student population
Weekly Work Expectation in Hours: 18.0 hours a week to be mutually agreed upon by Director of Advising & LifeMap, Coordinator of Advising, Retention and Completion and part-time advisor. LifeMap Commons hours are Monday- Tuesday 8:30am -7pm, Wednesday 8:30am-6:00pm, Thursdays 11am - 6pm and Fridays 8:30am - 4pm. Currently, there is a strong need for Mondays, 12:00 pm - 7:00 pm, Tuesdays 8:30 am - 7:00 pm & Fridays, from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.
Salary: $18.00/hr. @ 18/hrs.week
Review Date: To Ensure Consideration Application Materials Must Be Received By August 17, 2017.
Submit Cover Letter and Resume Addressing the Required Qualifications to: https://bhcc.interviewexchange.com. Fax transcript files over 2 MB to (617)-228-3328.