Associate Director of Purchasing - Contracts, Purchasing Office (A1700476)
Associate Director of Purchasing - Contracts
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is seeking an exceptional leader to serve as the Associate Director of Purchasing - Contracts in the Purchasing Office. The Associate Director will develop and assist with strategic initiatives, including system and process improvement initiatives. In addition the Associate Director will manage contracting services, oversee professional training initiatives for staff, educate campus community on requirements of the Procurement Code and best procurement practices as well as serve as liaison with other University procurement offices, including University Payables. The person in this role will make independent, high-level administrative decisions appropriate for the level of authority, facilitate resolution of major procurement issues with the State Procurement Officer and Chief Procurement Officer, and serve as back-up to the Director of Purchasing as appropriate for areas of responsibility and authority.
Responsibilities of the position include the following:
- Direct and manage strategic initiatives in the Urbana Campus Purchasing Division; including overseeing implementation of system solutions to State mandated and industry best practices for streamlining of procurement processing.
- Direct and manage the delivery of contracting services and negotiation of terms and conditions. Consult and advise officials/staff regarding compliance with internal policies and procedures, all applicable federal and state laws, and all University policies and procedures. Execute contracts as a delegate for the University Comptroller. Approve contracts as a delegate for the President.
- Assist Director of Purchasing in defining operating goals for the Purchasing Division, strategic initiatives for process improvement, and implementation of those improvements.
- Work with State Procurement Officer, Procurement Monitor, and Chief Procurement Officer to resolve and expedite critical purchasing concerns for the Urbana campus.
- Serve as outreach liaison to campus departments and units. Consult with and advise officials/staff about best procurement practices and compliance requirements; propose and implement solutions that provide mutual benefits for the units and the Urbana Campus Purchasing Division.
- Serve as liaison to other University Procurement offices, including Purchasing Offices on other campuses, University Payables and University Sourcing Office to optimize processing of purchases and payments for campus units and vendors.
- Assure Purchasing staff members are engaged in meeting customer service goals, responding satisfactorily to client needs and priorities. Manage workloads and provide necessary training to meet these service goals.
- In the absence of the Director, make decisions on his/her behalf to ensure minimal interruption in operations and services.
- Provide effective supervision, management, and leadership of assigned personnel as needed to meet immediate and long term operational needs of the unit. Mentor staff and assist in providing opportunities for professional development, such as conference attendance and educational opportunities, for Purchasing Division staff.
- Assist in overseeing productivity results of Purchasing Division sections to assess the overall quality of work and as related to job performance and departmental expectations and developing and preparing related management reports.
- Assist with cooperative purchasing arrangements with other State universities and peer systems and institutions.
- Serve on University, campus, and departmental committees as assigned.
Required Education: Bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting, Economics, Finance or related area.
Preferred Education: Juris Doctor or Master's degree in related field.
Required experience, skills and abilities include:
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in contract review, negotiation and development in a complex setting comparable to the University of Illinois or similarly complex organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with purchasing operations and related processes.
- Demonstrated managerial capability to oversee organizational activities and staff.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Knowledge or familiarity with the Illinois Procurement Code and the Procurement Rules of the Chief Procurement Officer for Public Institutions of Higher Education.
- Demonstrated analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment and discretion.
- Ability to multi-task and produce accurate, detail-oriented work in a timely manner while meeting stringent deadlines and responding to matters of urgency.
Procedure for candidacy:
This is a full-time, 12-month, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications and the start date will be as soon as possible after the close of the search. To ensure full consideration, please complete your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu/ and upload your letter of application, resume, and a list of three professional references, including contact information by August 17, 2017. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date, although no hiring decisions will be made until after the search has closed. For further information about this position, please contact Jennifer Steiling at 217-300-2734.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Chancellor
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Associate Director of Purchasing - Contracts, Purchasing Office (A1700476)
Open Date: 08/03/2017
Close Date: 08/17/2017
Organization Name: Purchasing Office