Academic Counselor/Student Athlete Development - Division of Intercollegiate Athletics (A1700478)
NOTICE OF POSITION VACANCY
University of Illinois
Division of Intercollegiate Athletics
POSITION: Academic Counselor/Student Athlete Development: 12 Month year round service basis, 100% Academic Professional Appointment.
Primary Function: Direct student-athlete development programming for all student-athletes in Division of Intercollegiate Athletics
Serve as primary Academic Counselor for at least one varsity athletic team:
• Oversee and report individual and team weekly study hall sessions
• Monitor and report academic progress relative to NCAA, Big Ten and University requirements
• Assist student athletes with academic schedule development and major exploration and planning
• Facilitate interaction with or guide assigned student-athletes to campus and academic resources
• Prepare and distribute NCAA required travel letters for athletes
• Communicate with campus faculty and staff regarding student-athlete progress and performance
• Provide academic evaluation of recruits
• Schedule campus appointments for, and meet with, prospective student--athletes on both official and unofficial visits
• Consult with coaches on a regular basis regarding academic performance of their student-athletes
• Provide comprehensive semester grade reports to Associate Athletic Director of Academic Services
• Work compatibly and cooperatively with all personnel within the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics and on the University of Illinois campus
Serve as Student Athlete Development contact for all student-athletes:
• Coordinate, manage and oversee all current student-athlete community service opportunities, including discovering and scheduling opportunities, enlisting player participation, and analyzing post-event participation and success
• Work in conjunction with DIA Life Skills to facilitate and develop campus student-athlete life skills enhancement opportunities
• Assist in coordination of all diversity and inclusion initiatives and programming
• Coordinate "Real Talk" sessions for student-athletes
• Coordinate all Freshman and Sophomore leadership programming opportunities
• Work in conjunction of Academic Services staff to identify needs, and develop career workshops and programming for freshman and sophomore student-athletes
• Assist with coordination of freshman transition course
• Coordinate Freshman Athlete Mentor (FAM) program
Evening and weekend hours may be required.
Responsible for maintaining knowledge of, and compliance with, specific NCAA, Big Ten Conference, and institution rules that relate to this position is required.
Bachelor's Degree in Education or Sport Management related field
Master's degree in Education, Leadership or Sport Management related field.
Experience in working with college student affairs and/or leadership programming. Prior administrative experience at the Division I level or other. Must possess strong written and oral communications skills. Skills in listening, judgment and decision-making. Abilities in problem identification, reasoning, ability to develop original ideas to solve problems. Ability to multi-task.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
START DATE: As soon as possible after closing date.
APPLICATIONS: To receive full consideration, application materials must be received by August 17, 2017. Applications not submitted through http://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. Candidate must upload a letter of application and resume. Online application will require the names and contact information for three references.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact: Marlon Dechausay, Associate Athletic Director for Academic Services, email@example.com
Interviews may take place prior to closing date, but no selection will be made until after closing date.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Division of Intercollegiate Athletics
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Academic Counselor/Student Athlete Development - Division of Intercollegiate Athletics (A1700478)
Open Date: 08/03/2017
Close Date: 08/17/2017
Organization Name: Intercollegiate Athletics