Required Qualifications: (As Evidenced by an Attached Resume)
Associate's degree. In lieu of degree, two (2) years of full time clerical experience may be considered. Four (4) years of full time clerical experience with three (3) years of experience being in a medical office setting. Knowledge of medical terminology. Familiarity with medical charts. Proficient with Microsoft Word & Excel.
Additional two (2) years of full time clerical experience. Experience using an Electronic Medical Records system. Knowledge of World Trade Center Health Program (WTCHP) policies and procedures.
Brief Description of Duties:
The Certification Specialist must possess excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills. The incumbent must have a strong sense of responsibility and initiative, good judgment and ability to work independently with minimal supervision. S/he will be responsible for the following:
- Responsible for the coordination of the WTC 3 Certification Process as follows:
- Works with other Certification Specialist in procuring necessary documentation from the patient and/or provider in order to complete the process for Certification.
- Collaborates with social worker on the procurement of needed documentation necessary for process review by National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).
- Communicates with NIOSH as needed regarding denials and re-submissions.
- Ensures that all information is correct prior to submission to NIOSH.
- Keeps certification data base updated and complete with member information.
- Writes up and reviews forms for completeness, signatures and accuracy of coding.
- Follows up on all submissions according to established timeframes.
- Follows up on all communication from the sponsor to include: notifying providers for all approved, denied, pended and re-do decisions. (Appeals to NIOSH)
- Communicates with and educates patients' specific to their certification progress either face to face during clinic visits or via phone calls from patients.
- Completes weekly review of cancer QA spreadsheet to insure the patient is certified.
- Completes monthly patient medication QA review for certification status.
- Works with Referral Verification Specialist in ensuring records needed from patients are logged into EMR upon receipt, prior to being sent to the provider for review.
- Files patient NIOSH authorizations for both Commack and Mineola locations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Special Notes: This position is located in Commack, NY. Occasional travel to the Mineola location may be required.
FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA.
Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free starting January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/ tobaccofree.
About Stony Brook:
Long Island’s premier academic medical center, Stony Brook Medicine represents Stony Brook University’s entire medical enterprise and integrates all of Stony Brook’s health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. It encompasses Stony Brook University Hospital, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, the six Health Sciences schools — Dental Medicine, Health Technology and Management, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medicine, Nursing and Social Welfare — as well as the major centers and institutes, programs and more than 50 community-based healthcare settings throughout Suffolk County. With 603 beds, Stony Brook University Hospital serves as Suffolk County’s only tertiary care center and Regional Trauma Center. Stony Brook Children’s, with more than 160 pediatric specialists, offers the most advanced pediatric specialty care in the region. Equal Opportunity Employer, females, minorities, disabled, veterans If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632- 6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632- 6350. It can also be viewed on line at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: Clerical Specialist II
Job Field: Clerical/Secretarial
Primary Location: US-NY-Commack
Department/Hiring Area: Medicine - WTCHP-The Research Foundation for The State University of New York at Stony Brook
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.Medicine - WTCHP-The Research Foundation for The State University of New York at Stony Brook
Posting Start Date: Aug 3, 2017
Posting End Date: Aug 17, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: $38,000-$45,000 / Annual @ 1.0 FTE CWE
Salary Grade: N7