Professional Research Assistant
Perform image acquisition, image-guided radiation treatment as well as animal handling/ anesthesia for small laboratory animals (mostly mice and rats) which are enrolled into imaging (MRI, PET, SPECT, CT, optical imaging) and irradiation protocols by scientists for biomedical research and education in the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Nursing at the University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus. Assist graduate and postgraduate students in Dr. Serkova's and Karam's team (Radiation Oncology/ Anesthesiology/ Radiology) with all protocol development and study implementation. A strong physics/ engineering background is encouraged.
Physics/ Engineering Technician of an Animal Imaging and Irradiation Cores.
Examples of Work Performed:
1. Accommodate all AISR and AIRC users' needs such as:
a. scheduling an imaging/ irradiation study through the iLab
b. performing imaging acquisition and radiation treatment acquisitions according to the established SOPs
c. performing animal anesthesia and animal handling during imaging/ irradiation studies according to the established protocols
d. developing and performing routine quality control and services to our imaging scanners and irradiator
e. individualized training sessions for our users on our scanners and irradiator
f. involvement in the initial image and data analysis
2. Operate as a AISR and AICR technician by coordinating all UCCC Core activities including iLab scheduling, invoicing and reporting.
3. Updating all SOPs for animal imaging and irradiation during imaging procedures.
4. A routine maintenance of MRI, PET, CT, IVIS scanners and image-guided irradiator
5. Helping in preparation and submission IACUC protocols for Drs. Serkova's and Karam' team.
6. Communicate with research personnel regarding technical issues during image acquisition/ irradiation.
7. Ensure appropriate documentation of all anesthetics, controlled substances and radioactive tracers.
8. Train and supervise Drs. Serkova's and Karam's students in all laboratory SOPs.
9. Work closely with all our team members as well as the Veterinarian OLAR team.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Effective written and oral communication skills, in English
Ability to enter data in a database and manage an email account
Ability to handle rodents
Ability to perform anesthesia on animals
Ability to maintain an activity log and iLab records
Ability to work with complex machinery
Planning and organization skills
Able to teach and lead others by example
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree or higher (BS, MS, PhD) in physics/ engineering/ chemistry and a technical capacity to work with animals.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10374
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20290 - SOM-Radiation Oncology
Posting Date: Aug 3, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: John Sohrweid
Posting Contact Email: John.Sohrweid@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00736014