Lab Tech (Laboratory Technology I)
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Dental Medicine
Lab Tech (Laboratory Technology I)
Position #649188 - Requisition 10573
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The purpose of this full-time, state-classified Lab Tech (Laboratory Support I) is to provide support to the student users of the laboratory facilities, troubleshoot lab equipment and instructional technology equipment in these facilities, order supplies, stock and maintain inventory of disposable and durable items including but not limited to implant components and laboratory equipment. Issue, replace, and collect materials and instruments to/from students as needed using automated dispensary and inventory control procedures. In addition, this position will pour study cases used by students in courses, keep the laboratory areas clean, organized, well maintained, and stocked with supplies on a daily basis.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Order supplies, stock and inventory lab material, issue materials to students.
- Place orders for teeth using different vendors.
- Verify with main SOD Support Services if funds are available to order teeth.
- Verify invoices and make payment for patient lab cases to appropriate external vendors. Manage reallocation of A-card transactions, including documentation and tracking of expenditures in a timely manner.
- Oversee maintenance of laboratory equipment by monitoring lab for equipment failure or problems, diagnosing problem areas and contacting the appropriate staff, vendor or campus dept to replace or repair. Follow proper techniques and safety precautions.
- Monitor fixed and removable laboratory cases with support from the SR Lab Technician.
- Assist in QC and fabrication of die systems for patient cases. Prepare and pour model molds to be used by students in classes taught by faculty and future upcoming classes.
- Ship and receive patient lab cases from students.
- Verify and maintain QA standards by reviewing case submissions from students for proper case work, articulation, cast and making certain students' work is acceptable to fabricate dental appliances.
- Verify script for faculty signature, log in cases to include a finished date to be returned from the external labs, finalize paperwork, and prepare lab cases for pickup.
- Verify invoice, QA that case is acceptable, record date received, prepare case in pan for student to be picked up.
- Troubleshoot lab cases if specific problems arise and notify student before case is submitted to external vendor.
Salary and Benefits:
Hiring Salary Range: $3,525 - $3,933 / month (non-negotiable)*
*The salary offered is usually the minimum listed, however, a salary above the minimum may be offered for some hard to fill positions.
Employees hired into these positions are eligible for University benefits. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits program, including eligibility, is located at www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Please make sure to include the following in your resume: job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis.
Two years of dental laboratory experience.
Substitution:Education which provided the same kind, amount and level of knowledge acquired in the required experience may substitute for the experience on a year-for year basis.
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be willing and able to push and pull up to 50 lbs. to maneuver instrument carts on a daily basis.
• Must be willing and able to stand for long periods of time while working.
• Must be willing and able to reach, crouch, and stoop on a frequent basis.
• Must be willing and able to lift and carry small objects (
• Certified Dental Technician and/or Recognized Graduate
• Experience teaching and training others in proper dental appliance fabrication • Experience cleaning and maintaining dental laboratory equipment
• Experience ordering supplies, stocking a lab or clinic, and managing proper inventory levels.
• One year of experience in the laboratory working with fixed and/or removable appliances
Competencies / Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of current dental materials, tools and instruments.
• Knowledge of fume hood evacuation procedures, countertop asepsis, and incubation asepsis.
• Attention to detail and the ability to verify the accuracy of work.
• Exceptional time management skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Excellent Computer Skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to quickly build rapport with customers and colleagues.
• Excellent Customer Service Skills.
• Excellent Written and Verbal Communication Skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Classified Staff positions have specific application requirements: Submit all required documents indicated in this posting. Include a current email address as communication is electronic-based. Failure to complete a timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applications MUST be completed in their entirety, including job title, duties, months and years employed, and hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Address qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications in your application, as these along with previous work experience will be used to assess competencies. Answers will be verified against your application and may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process. Click here to view Veteran and other General Information regarding Classified Staff positions.
For those who meet minimum qualifications, the comparative analysis process will include one or all of the following: • Preferred Qualifications Application Review based on the preferred qualifications listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated and rated against the preferred qualifications based on information submitted within their application materials). Note: Candidates are not physically present for this portion of the comparative analysis. • Search Committee Interview based on the job requirements, preferred qualifications and competencies listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated, scored and ranked based on oral responses). You will be notified via email if the comparative analysis process changes or includes additional assessment tools other than those listed above.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: This announcement is open until 8/24/17. To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting: A cover letter and resume that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. Your resume MUST include job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Resumes are part of the comparative analysis (selection process) and will be used as part or all of the comparative analysis process to rank candidates.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20429 - SDM-Dental Clinic Support Srvc
Posting Date: Aug 3, 2017
Closing Date: Aug 24, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Jennifer Koehmstedt
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00729116