Ceramics Lab Aide
The main duties of this job will be to Load electric and Gas kilns during lab monitor hours, fire kilns, Monitor Lab hours, answer student questions, assist students with questions (not tutoring), help keep inventory, log problems and communicated to full time Lab Assistant or Program Coordinator. Work effectively with Lab Assistant. Mix glazes as needed. Candidate must be able to communicate when unable to work a day in advance to other arrangements can be made.
This is a year round position with gaps between Fall, Spring, and Summer classes and during Holidays.
The Candidate MUST have experience in all aspects of Ceramic Studio Operation, including, but not limited to:
• Knowledge of all Ceramic Materials
• Ceramics Safety/ Hazards
• Safety management and practice
• Ceramics Studio Organization and Management
• Kiln firings (Gas, electric, temperature, manual and computerized)
• Glaze materials, proper mixing (clay and glazes) protocols and hazards
• Problem solving skills
• Communication skills
• Able to lift at least 50 lbs, bend over repeatedly (kiln loading)
• Able to mix glazes
• Able to wear a dust respirator and be properly fitted with half mask respirator.
Intercommunication—Candidate must be able to:
• work with college students for long hours, (lab monitoring)
• communicate effectively, and respectfully
• recognize when problems arise and communicate problems promptly to Program Coordinator or Lab Assistant
• Must be able to work 10-12 hours, mostly weekends (Saturdays and Sundays) during Fall and Spring, Flexible in Summer.
References: 2 References must be able to cite candidates relevant experience in areas above
Bachelors degree in Ceramics or related field Required.
Click here for a summary of our benefit information. For a summary of our adjunct faculty compensation, click here.
Every employee of the college is expected to treat all members of the college community with dignity and respect demonstrating professional, courteous and respectful behavior and engage in constructive conflict resolution, when needed.
In accordance with the college policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. Individual hiring departments at JCCC may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process. Many departments require those selected for hire to submit a certified transcript for all degrees obtained. For full consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the review date listed in posting.
Johnson County Community College welcomes the application of any qualified candidate and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital status, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or other factors that cannot be lawfully considered.
If you are an applicant requesting assistance or a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-3877, or email.
For a summary of all disclosures (Background check, Clery Act, ADA, EOE, etc) refer to the links on our Career page.
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Hours per Week
Please submit resume and cover letter.