Assistant Director of Facility Services (Facility Maintenance Supervisor - Advanced)
Position Number 3359
Position Classification Title Facility Maintenance Supervisor
Functional Title Assistant Director of Facility Services (Facility Maintenance Supervisor - Advanced)
Position Type Staff
Posting has been extended.
The Assistant Director for Facility Services administers and directs the provision of custodial services for all buildings at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro with the exception of the dorms. Is also responsible for the provision and servicing of all waste and recycling containers and providing surplus property services for the entire campus. Custodial services are provided to more than 4 million square feet of building space. Total staff consists of approximately 124 full-time equivalent employees. The Assistant Director for Facility Services reports to the Director of Facilities Operations and manages personnel, budgeting, cost control, inventory, work standards, quality control, and equipment allocation. This position is also responsible for the annual pest control, custodial services (for outlying buildings), and waste removal contracts.
Some of the duties and key responsibilities include:
- Establish work rules and acceptable levels of quality and quantity of work,
- Motivate and lead a team of employees,
- Review work and measure performance of others,
- Recruit, develop, coach, counsel, discipline, and evaluate employees,
- Establish work standards and goals,
- Communicate effectively with Facility Services staff to provide leadership and ensure that staff has necessary information to perform work and accomplish goals,
- Administer and ensure compliance with Human Resources policies and procedures,
- Recommendation to management regarding staffing, appointments, career progression, promotions, reassignments, and other personnel actions,
- Ensure that consistent service level is maintained for campus buildings,
- Ensure adequate staffing at specials events,
- Ensure that staff receives adequate job-related training,
- Evaluate and determine need for custodial and waste removal services for new construction and renovations,
- Establish a culture of customer service,
- Lead the waste reduction and recycling effort for the entire campus through the OWRR Supervisor and Facility Services staff,
- Ensure that exterior waste and recycling containers are serviced adequately,
- Establish and maintain a culture of safety for Facility Services employees,
- Monitor Facility Services budget expenditures to ensure effective use of resources,
- Provide adequate inventory control,
- Oversees Surplus Warehouse Services for the entire campus through the OWRR Supervisor, and
- Take action to remove any surplus property improperly stored in corridors that may create life safety egress issues.
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a world-class, research intensive, regional University with a diverse portfolio of expertise and a particular focus on fostering healthy lives, vibrant communities and global connections. UNCG is a leading institution within the 17-campus University of North Carolina System. Recognized for its programs in the Music, Theater and Dance; Nursing; Business; Education; Life and Physical Sciences; and Health and Human Sciences, UNCG continues to grow its enrollment and enjoys the most diverse student populations of all the UNC system universities. With more than 19,000 students, UNCG has a significant and positive impact in North Carolina and the Greensboro/Triad area in particular. UNCG is nationally recognized for its distance learning initiative and serves many rural areas of North Carolina with its highly rated online educational programs. Established in 1892, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro was founded as the first public university in North Carolina for women. In 1963 the school became co-educational, but the legacy of providing both opportunity and excellence continues today.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Health Insurance - NC State Health Plan (NC Smart Choice)
- Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, FSAs and more (NC Flex)
- Retirement (Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System and Optional Retirement Program)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Vacation, Sick, Community Service, FMLA Leave
- Longevity Pay
- Eligible to become a member of the State Employees Credit Union
- Employee Award Programs
- Employee Wellness Resources
- and more
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR EQUIVALENCY AND TWO YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN TRADE AREAS ASSIGNED; OR EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE.
Additional Minimum Requirement
- Valid Driver's License
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited program in an area related to position or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Previous experience leading a custodial services organization of 60 employees or more
- Seven years or more of management experience in custodial services in a university setting
- Previous experience managing a recycling/waste reduction program
- International Executive Housekeepers Association (IEHA) Certification
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
All applicants must complete the on-line application in its entirety. "See resume" will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
Recruitment Range $58,046 - $66,719
Org #-Department Housekeeping - 56408
Work Hours of Position 8 A.M - 5 P.M, Monday - Friday
Job Family Operations and Skilled Trades
Band Facility Maintenance Supervisor
Competency Level Advanced
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
Human Resources Management: Ability to identify staffing gaps brought about by retirement and turnover and participates in the development of strategies to address issues. Ability to identify long-term goals of organization and promotes development of staff that meets current and future competency needs to meet goals. Ability to make sound capital resource recommendations addressing staffing and training needs. Ability to make specific salary recommendations and competency pay recommendations that fit defined pay factors.
Ability to recommend corrective actions adhering to agency's policies and procedures.
Leading Work Teams: Ability to advocate and model commitment of team decision-making process; ability to integrate teamwork philosophy into planning and program development; ability to provide necessary resources and remove obstacles to help team accomplish its goals. Ability to develop realistic timelines and milestones; ability to set mid- to long-range maintenance goals and objectives and prioritize activities and tasks; ability to prepare alternative plans to meet changing conditions and ensure timely task accomplishment.
Safety and Health Management: Ability to analyze and interpret agency/university safety policies and determine applicability. Ability to ensure that overall safety program objectives are met, including third party coordination (e.g., OSHA, DOL, DOI). Ability to anticipate safety issues and take proactive steps to maximize safe operations and measure the effectiveness of action.
Financial Management - Budget: Ability to consider the business needs of the organization when requesting state or federal funds. Ability to analyze fiscal/budget reports; ability to understand state and department/office budget procurement regulations. Ability to understand the budget process. Ability to provide rationale to management for budget expenditures; ability to adjust budgets as appropriate or directed. Ability to understand and apply financial planning strategies to develop budget.
Open Date 07/05/2017
Close Date 08/14/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Salary Grade Equivalency 72
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following options best describes your education history?
- No Response
- Bachelor's Degree or higher
- Associate's Degree
- 3 years of college coursework
- 2 years of college coursework
- 1 year of college coursework
- less than 1 year of college coursework
- High School Diploma or GED
- * How many years of experience in a directly related field do you have?
- No Response
- 6 or more years
- 5 years
- 4 years
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- 4 months
- less than 4 months
- * Do you have a Bachelors Degree?
- * Do you have a minimum of five yeas of supervisory experience in higher education, where you directly supervise at least one full-time professional staff member?
- * Do you have previous Supervisory experience in the custodial field?
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu