Director of Equal Opportunity - Center of Excellence
Full-time, regular, exempt position
The University of Maine System is seeking to fill the position of Director of Equal Opportunity - Center of Excellence. Work location is on the Orono campus of the University of Maine.
Primary Purpose of Position
A: Systemwide: This is a professional position providing experienced leadership and management in the effective administration of Equal Employment opportunity (EEO) and Title IX programs to achieve UMS’ institutional goals and objectives. The Director also collaborates and consults with the System’s General Counsel and Chief Risk Officer. This individual will be responsible for planning, directing, coordinating, implementing and exercising authority for policy making, organization, control, integration and completion of all functions of the EO office at UMS.
B: Campus: This position also acts as Director of Equal Opportunity at the University of Maine
- Consults with leadership on the application of equal employment statutes and regulations.
- Oversees completion of all EO related compliance reports.
- Identifies training needed on topics related to equal opportunity, non-discrimination, sexual harassment, Title IX, and diversity.
- Oversees the investigation of formal internal complaints of alleged EO and Title IX discrimination and/or harassment; collaborates with management on recommendations for corrective action, if appropriate.
- Compiles and submits data reports related to complaints, hiring statistics and diversity information as required by management. State, local and federal regulatory agencies.
- Understands and communicates the department’s and function’s role in the University’s mission and strategic direction. Ensures compliance with record-keeping and confidentiality of protected information.
- Oversees ADA/504 compliance and the provision of reasonable accommodations to employees, students, and the public.
- Provides oversight and collaboration of diversity initiatives as required for each campus.
- Participates in various committees, professional trainings and industry conferences and conventions.
- Consults with University Services Affirmative Action Officer
- Assists Vice Presidents, Deans, Department Chairs, and Managers in identifying, resolving and preventing equal employment opportunity and Title IX complaints.
- Oversees the work of the campus Title IX coordinators and deputy coordinators
- Identifies, develops, and presents/oversees training on EO issues.
- Participates on campus committees which are appropriate to EO issues and goals
Supervise 4 employees
Reports to the Chief Human Resources Officer
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of University policies and procedures and federal laws related to the EO functional areas or the ability to rapidly assimilate.
- Ability to plan, conceptualize, conduct and provide oversight to a comprehensive and expansive EO structure that is role- and collaboration-based across a University System comprised of seven (7) separate Universities and a central Shared Services function.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing.
- Advanced knowledge and skills in employee complaint resolution, investigation techniques and procedures related to Title VII and Title IX.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with administrators, faculty, staff, students, general counsel and external partners.
- Ability to research and interpret Federal and State laws as well as University policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Maine state law related to the EO functional areas or the ability to rapidly assimilate.
- Master’s degree and/or J.D.
- Six years of progressive practical experience in policy development, EEO issues, harassment, Title IX or employment discrimination complaints
- Experience in a public and higher education setting, significant experience serving as a Title IX Coordinator and supervising the investigation and documentation of discrimination and sexual harassment complaints
Other Information: The salary range is competitive and will be based on the qualifications and experience of the successful applicant. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and tuition waiver programs for employees and dependents. In addition, the UMS retirement program provides a 10% employer contribution. The UMS is a recipient of the Wellness Councils of America’s Well Workplace Award and offers wellness programs.
Review of applications begins immediately. To ensure first phase consideration, materials should be submitted by August 24, 2017. Materials received after that date will be considered at the discretion of the University. Materials must be submitted via “Apply For Position.” You will need to create an applicant profile, complete an application (which includes contact information for three professional references), and upload a cover letter and a resume/curriculum vitae which fully describes your qualifications and experiences with specific reference to the required and preferred qualifications. You will also need to complete the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status form.
The successful applicant is subject to background screening.
All UMS employees are required to comply with applicable policies and procedures, as well as to complete applicable workplace related screenings, and required employee trainings, such as Information Security, Safety Training, Workplace Violence and Sexual Harassment.
The University of Maine System is an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.