Assistant Professor of Physical Education Teacher Education
The Department of Counseling, Leadership, and Educational Studies at Winthrop University seeks a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Physical Education Teacher Education to teach undergraduate and graduate program coursework and serve as Program Director.
The Richard W. Riley College of Education has a strong reputation in the preparation and advancement of highly qualified professionals for South Carolina and the country. Historically renowned in teacher preparation, Winthrop University is NCATE-accredited and has received national recognition for its clinically-based teacher preparation and partnerships with local schools. The university enjoys close proximity to Charlotte, NC (approximately 20 miles from downtown), high quality local schools, and an affordable cost of living. The college is committed to building a diverse educational environment in which all students, faculty, and staff collaborate in a supportive and inclusive community. Individuals from under-represented groups or with experience working with under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate physical education pedagogy and other other related courses.
- Serve as the Program Director for BS and MAT initial preparation programs in Physical Education Teacher Education.
- Supervise students in field and internship placements.
- Advise and mentor undergraduate and graduate students.
- Provide leadership at the department level with curriculum development, accreditation, program planning, and student recruitment.
- Participate in service to the program, department, college, university, profession, and community.
- Collaborate with public school/university faculty to plan and teach an experience-based curriculum.
- Conduct educationally significant research to improve the education of children.
- Seek grants to support curriculum and program development.
- Teach evenings, summers, online, and occasional weekends.
Employment Conditions: A nine-month, full-time, tenure-track position. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Option of summer employment with sufficient enrollments. Employment begins August, 2018.
- Earned doctorate in Physical Education Teacher Education or closely related field.
- Successful college teaching experience.
- Minimum of 3 years P-12 teaching experience.
- Record of emerging or demonstrated scholarship commensurate with rank.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues at the department, college, university, and community levels.
- Demonstrated leadership ability through experience with a team, committee, project, or program.
- Experience with accreditation procedures and assessments (CAEP/Shape America).
- Experience with preparing physical education teacher candidates for the edTPA.
- Online teaching experience or training in online course development.
- Ability to teach other courses as needed such as education core coursework, undergraduate research methods, or motor learning.
- Demonstrated ability to enhance instruction through the use of technology.
The following materials should be added to the online application:
- A cover letter including the candidate's interest in the position, qualifications, teaching philosophy, research interests, and commitment to educational reform and renewal;
- Current curriculum vitae;
- Graduate transcripts for all advanced degrees (unofficial acceptable for application phase); and
- Names and contact information for five professional references.
Specific questions about this search should be directed to coesearchB@winthrop.edu