IT Security Specialist - College of Engineering IT Shared Services (A1700470)
IT Security Specialist
Engineering IT Shared Services
College of Engineering
University Of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Engineering IT Shared Services at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks applicants for an IT Security Specialist. Engineering IT is the primary information technology services provider for Engineering at Illinois, serving the IT needs of more than 1,100 faculty and staff and over 10,000 students. The mission is to ensure that all faculty, students and staff in the College have easy and well-supported access to IT services that are second to none in support of their teaching, research, and learning. Engineering IT prides itself on a user-centric approach to IT, with emphasis on effectiveness, visibility and accountability. The organization has a strong commitment to career and professional development with a dedicated training budget, defined promotion tracks and performance-based raises for full time positions. This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic team. More information about Engineering IT can be found at http://it.engineering.illinois.edu/about-us/.
This position will provide security-focused assistance to Engineering IT's supported users, and lead security initiatives on behalf of the College of Engineering which can include one or more of the following: incident monitoring, metrics gathering, generating security-focused reports, and performing security-related audits as needed.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Lead Engineering IT's Network and Security team
- Assist with the development and maintenance of disaster recovery and business continuity plans for the College of Engineering
- Work with units, individual faculty, and IT Professionals to advise on and provide user-focused education about security best practices that align with unique technological, instructional, and business needs for the College of Engineering
- Serve as a resource for faculty, researchers, and IT Professionals for sensitive data handling procedures, and consult with campus as necessary
- Consult with faculty and researchers with the development of technology control plans and grant proposals
- Engage with campus entities on centralized security initiatives and policy development to ensure compatibility with and advocacy of Engineering IT's supported users and technologies
- Develop and maintain College of Engineering-specific security policies and procedures
- Perform periodic security-focused risk assessments and audits of systems and tools used in Engineering, and produce related reports
- Develop, implement, and refine solutions for security monitoring, detection, and response on College of Engineering systems
- Remain current with relevant security-related topics, trends, and training opportunities
- Independently complete assigned projects with durations of up to 6 months
- Respond to requests in a timely, polite, and professional manner
- Promote excellent Customer Service by taking responsibility for assigned projects and owning problems until resolution
- Actively maintain relationships with user community; Proactively communicate relevant security-related information, stay informed of needs and initiatives throughout the College of Engineering
- Interact with various teams within Engineering IT Shared Services to ensure outstanding service delivery to the end-users
- Respond to incidents that occur outside of regular business hours
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree
- Two or more years of experience in computer or network security or systems administration
- Applied knowledge in one or more of the following domains including but not limited to Data Security, IT Systems and Operations, Network Security, Systems and Applications Security or Vulnerability Management.
- Familiarity with security in cloud computing environments
- Demonstrated competence in scripting and programming (e.g. Perl, PHP, shell scripts)
- Substantial familiarity with a wide range of Internet applications (e.g. Apache, IIS, PHP, Samba, Sendmail)
- Demonstrated ability to maintain high security/privacy controls when dealing with sensitive information
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Bachelor's degree in IT-related field
- Current security-related certifications (e.g. CISSP, GIAC)
- Network administration experience
- Software development experience
- Expertise with network security tools and techniques (e.g. firewalls, forensic tools, intrusion detection, etc.)
- Experience authoring and presenting a wide range of formal and informal business and technical communications tailored to individual or plural organizational audiences.
- Familiarity with campus computing environments
The IT Security Specialist position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. The minimum salary is $59,500, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single PDF file by August 27, 2017. Interviews and hires may take place prior to the closing date; however, full consideration will be given to complete applications received by that date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Sarah Musselman at email@example.com or 217-244-1056.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: IT Security Specialist - College of Engineering IT Shared Services (A1700470)
Open Date: 08/02/2017
Organization Name: Engineering IT Shared Services