DIRECTOR OF EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS, TIP
DIRECTOR OF EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS, TIP
Duke University Talent Identification Program is seeking a Director of Educational Programs. Reporting to TIP's Executive Director, the Director of Educational Programs will oversee the direction and operations of the academic and residential experience of students who participate in TIP's educational face-to- face programming during the summer and academic year. These programs - Summer Studies Program (SSP), CRISIS, Academic Adventures,Scholar Weekends, and Field Studies - are held on over 20 college campuses, including Duke University, and serve over 8,000 fourth through twelfth grade students annually. The director manages a team of 15+ full-time employees and over 1,200 part-time seasonal employees to assist with the successful implementation of these programs.
Strategy Development and Implementation -
• Lead the development of a comprehensive strategy for effectively implementing TIP's educational face-to- face programming to align with the organizational goals and mission of Duke TIP.
• Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with departments at Duke and partner university sites, community-based organizations, and individuals to assist in the development and successful delivery of educational programs.
• Work with educational program team and director of administration and finance to plan departmental budget needs by analyzing program plans on both a short- and long-term basis. Coordinate the compilation and preparation of operational and financial reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations.
• Work with TIP's research team to evaluate the success of the programs, including ensuring that students and instructional staff complete surveys, reviewing the results and making suggestions to improve programs, sharing results with key stakeholders, and providing feedback for proposals and reports.
• Work with alumni engagement team to establish effective strategies for maintaining relationships with TIP alumni through volunteer and seasonal staffing opportunities.
• Advise TIP Executive Director on key strategic and operational matters relating to educational programs, as a member of the TIP executive leadership committee.
Program Implementation -
• Oversee the implementation of the face-to-face commuter and residential programs while the students are on campus, which includes having adequate classroom and residential facilities, well-trained academic and residential staff from diverse backgrounds who can teach and supervise gifted 4th-12th grade students, and appropriate staffing structures and emergency procedures that meet the requirements for minors on each college campus.
• Supervise and coordinate tasks and work process of 15+ full-time staff members and over 1,200 part-time seasonal staff to ensure that educational programs are effectively implemented.
• Develop and oversee appropriate risk management to ensure compliance with Duke University and partner university sites' legal, human resource, and student disability accommodation policies and procedures. Liaison with appropriate personnel to limit risk and resolve problems.
• Liaison with parents and families to gather suggestions and resolve concerns to ensure that students have meaningful academic and social experiences through TIP.
• Manage training and professional development for staff that work in educational programs, including workshops, seminars, and multi-day training sessions.
• Oversee the documentation of processes/ protocol and curriculum development for educational programs.
• Oversee the development and implementation of student assessment for learningsurveys.
• Collaborate with TIP operational divisions (marketing, IT, human resources, and finance) to effectively market programs, hire and train seasonal staff, utilize IT systems, and complete financial processes related to implementing educational programs.
• Work with the Director of Admissions and Student Services and the admissions team to ensure that the admissions processes are aligned with the goals of the organization and the educational programs and that they support students with diverse backgrounds, interests, strengths, and needs, as they participate in the programs.
• Assist the development/fundraising team with information and data needed for current and potential funding.
• Represent Duke TIP in meetings, conferences, and other affairs of an administrative nature.
• Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Experience educating or providing educational programs for academically gifted and talented students from diverse backgrounds strongly preferred. 15 years of experience in education and/or program management preferred.
• Commitment to Duke TIP's mission and ability to lead the strategic direction and implementation of educational programs at 20+ university sites.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate professionally and confidently with a wide variety of constituents, including Duke TIP staff, Duke University administrators, university site contacts, current, prospective, and alumni families.
• Natural ability to provide positive customer service to students, parents, staff, and university contacts, especially when discussing confidential and challenging student or staff related concerns.
• High level of creativity, initiative, motivation and team orientation and willingness to set an example for effective leadership and teamwork.
• Proficiency in project management strategies and tools, database tools, and Microsoft Office Programs: Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
• Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and issues on a daily basis.
• Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends and travel, especially while programs are in session.
Physical Location of Job Building Name: Power House; 300 Fuller Street, Durham, NC 27701 The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
2842 DIR, TIP
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires certification in Gifted Education or a Master's degree inEducation or closely related field.
Work requires a minimum of 8 years of experience in K-12 giftededucation, including a minimum of 5 years of administrative managementand supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of relevanteducation and/or experience.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.