Admission Advisor/Testing Technician
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a Part-Time Admission Advisor/Testing Technicians who is dedicated, enthusiastic and experienced.
The Part-Time Admission Advisor/Testing Technician is a customer service representative in the Student Service Center and Testing Center. The admission advisor, works with both new and current students in the Student Service Center regarding basic needs related to admission, financial aid and other student services. The Testing Technician will provide assistance with administration and proctoring of tests. This position will report to the Director of Student Service Center and Testing Services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Correspond with prospective undergraduate students and their families in person, by telephone, web, social media, and email.
• Assess the placement testing needs of incoming and returning students and place students into classes accordingly.
• Coach students and their families on different ways to pay for college, including grants, scholarships, federal student loans, and payment plans.
• Advise and register students for their first semester of classes.
• Utilize Banner Student Information System and other various software systems to enter overrides, collect and analyze data, and perform other key operations.
• Provide excellent customer service to all visitors in the Student Service Center: answering questions from students and guests, helping students with paperwork, and teaching students how to use SMC resources.
• Participate in student retention efforts, including but not limited to: workshops, phone calls, and mentoring sessions.
• Create and update admissions and acceptance packets for prospective students.
• Provide proctoring services in support of faculty, student services, and disability services in the testing center.
• Enter and maintain examinations administered in the Testing Center, which includes data input into Banner and filing.
• Administer high stakes exams, which includes yearly proctor certification.
• Perform other duties assigned by the Director of Student Service Center and Testing Services.
High School Diploma or GED
Flexibility in scheduling required
Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
A minimum of one year of customer service experience or a combination of education and experience commensurate with the duties and responsibilities of this position.
• Banner Student Information System, various software systems, and other technology devices.
• Regulations of confidentiality as outlined by FERPA.
• Working with students from a diverse group of backgrounds.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with coworkers.
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to read and review materials for accuracy.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information with students, staff and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
Posting Number 20110584
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- * Do you have an Associate's Degree or higher?
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcripts
- Optional Documents