Posting Date July 27, 2017
Position Title Instructional Specialist
Vacancy # V-F817
Department College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Division Academic Affairs
The Department of Spanish and Latino Studies seeks a proactive and creative Clinical Specialist in Spanish to teach Spanish language courses and also assist in coordinating our language courses at the elementary and intermediate levels. The Spanish Language Coordinator will report to and work with the Chair of the Department.
The position includes teaching three courses in the fall and three courses in the spring. Spanish courses include introductory and intermediate level courses, as well as a course Spanish for heritage speakers. The Clinical Specialist will teach courses from among SPAN 101, 102, 103, and 104.
B. Coordination of Spanish Language Program
The following are the specific duties of the language coordinator:
- Support the department in running the Spanish language program, which serves approximately 2,000 students per academic year.
- Support the department in implementing teaching strategies that are on the cutting edge of foreign language pedagogy.
- Coordinate selection of textbooks for lower-level language courses [SPAN 101, 102, 103, and 104]
- Coordinate syllabi, grading policies and exams for lower-level language courses.
- Oversee online course offerings and provide feedback on issues involving technology, serving as a liaison to the Office of Information Technology.
- Work with the chair and other faculty to hire adjunct faculty and provide orientation to the general academic program.
- Coordinate workshops for adjunct faculty in departmental methodology, resources, and goals.
- Assist the Chair and the Deputy Chair in the preparation of course schedules pertaining to lower-level language courses for adjunct faculty.
- Observe adjunct faculty, write letters of observation and meet with adjunct faculty concerning their classes/performance.
- Coordinate tutors for beginning and intermediate language courses in collaboration with the University Tutoring Center and Sigma Delta Pi.
- Collaborate with Department and other language departments on Placement Exam testing.
- Respond to student queries about placement levels, give permits to students to enroll in different sections, and resolve student placement conflicts.
- Resolve conflicts related to adjuncts or students that may arise by consulting with the Chair of the Department.
- Participate in year-round sessions to mentor and evaluate instructional staff.
- Produce program assessment reports and pedagogical recommendations.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Ph.D. in Spanish plus four to six years of teaching experience.
- Advanced skills in Word, Excel, Canvas and use of classroom technology.
- Experience with face-to-face and online instruction.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in teams.
- Ability to communicate effectively and to build relationships with full-time and adjunct faculty, staff and other departments within the university.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to follow university policies and procedures.
- Experience working at Montclair State University and knowledge of procedures, policies and systems such as NEST and BANNER.
Anticipated Start Date September 1, 2017
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Send resumes to:
Dr. Raul Galoppe, Department Chair
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION