Lab Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
TEDDY Lab Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver (UCD) seeks a full time (100%) Professional Research Assistant to work in the Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes at the Anschutz Medical Campus. As one of three institutions within the University of Colorado system, UCD is an urban institution with 3 locations in the Denver metro area. UCD is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. The university has proudly positioned itself as one of the top urban research universities in the country.
Nature of Work:
This is a 100% FTE position for the Research Lab Assistant for the Colorado Center of multi-year, multi-center NIH-funded prospective cohort studies: "The Environmental Determinants of Diabetes in the Young" (TEDDY), "Diabetic Autoimmunity Study in the Young" (DAISY) and "Autoimmunity Screening for Kids" (ASK). Both studies have identified newborns with genetic variants that place them at high risk for developing Type 1 Diabetes (childhood). Infants with the high-risk genetic variants have been invited to participate in the study that includes multiple detailed data collection visits for at least 4 years, with the hope of following the established cohort for 15-20 years. This position is a part of the clinical research team that has recruited identified high risk newborns and their families into the study, collects extensive clinical and laboratory data, and conducts ongoing case management/follow-up of the cohort. There is a study steering committee and data monitoring board that reviews and approves study protocols, as well as local IRBs that will also approve the study protocols.
This position reports to the Principal Investigator (Marian Rewers, MD, PhD, Professor, Clinical Director BDC), the Project Managers (Judith Baxter, MA, Assistant Professor, Preventive Medicine and Biometrics and Kathleen Waugh, MS, Sr. PRA, BDC), and the Laboratory Coordinator (Hali Wright, MEd, Sr. PRA, BDC). This supervision will include training and oversight for the position's responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Implementation of the TEDDY, DAISY and ASK Study protocols with ancillary protocols conducted in the same clinical research setting:
- Processing of biological samples for clinical research analysis: blood centrifugation, preparation, storage, and shipping of plasma, serum, red blood cells, white blood cells, saliva, urine, viral and bacterial culture specimens
- Conducting analysis of biological samples to answer research questions: hemoglobin A1C analysis, urine ketone and glucose levels, blood glucose levels
- Data entry of biological sample storage and clinic visit data, recording of test results
- Validation of clinic visit data/editing procedures: interview and questionnaire data, biological sample data
- Sample project coordination and execution, including sample preparation and shipping
- Tracking and analysis of patient participation in various aspects of the research protocol
- Data extraction from clinical research charts related to the study protocols
- Collaboration with Project Manager and Sr. PRA to further develop protocol and analysis
- Administration of patient interviews and assessments
- Participate in local and central training sessions as required.
- Bachelors of Sciences degree. Laboratory experience may be substituted on a year-by-year basis for Bachelors requirement.
- One year experience in medical or research laboratory setting required.
- Knowledge of office/research software applications (e.g. Word, Excel, Access, Outlook).
This position includes shifts either 8:30-5:00 or 11:30-8 Tuesday through Friday, and 8-2 on Saturday, not to exceed 40 hours per week.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 08855
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20061 - SOM-Barbara Davis Center
Posting Date: Aug 2, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Gabrielle Cook
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00612940