Property Services Program Manager
CU Boulder's Facilities Management welcomes applications for a Property Services Program Manager. This position determines the strategic direction of the Property Services programs including developing budgets, dispositioning surplus property, and developing and implementing marketing strategies. In addition, this position conducts cost/benefit analyses to determine which services are most appropriate for campus, establishes appropriate staffing levels, and ensures campus compliance with applicable environmental and hazardous waste laws related to surplus property. This position is ideal for someone who is passionate about sustainability, and who excels at team building and process improvement.
Who we are:
Property Services provides appropriate means for reutilization, recycling, disposal and sale of surplus materials for the University of Colorado in Boulder, as well as other campuses and state agencies. A major aspect of surplus management is the screening of computers and other electronics to determine the best means of disposition. This work unit also provides logistical support by placing adequate classroom furniture in the centrally-controlled classrooms, setting up special events, such as commencement and convocations, and moving and hauling services for faculty and staff. Services provided include methods for the safeguarding and/or destruction of sensitive information in both written and electronically recorded media.
The mission of Property Services is to make the best decisions possible as to how to dispose of surplus items, with sustainability a top priority. When an item can be sold for reuse, every effort is made to get the best price possible, with the ultimate goal of returning a portion of the proceeds back to the department that provided the surplus item. When services unrelated to surplus are needed, safety and customer service are the top priority.
This is a dynamic environment where the staff enjoys working as a team. They feel a strong sense of responsibility in doing the best they can to look out for the interests of the university. With many years of experience they handle their work with professionalism, courtesy and respect, but also do it with a friendly, helpful demeanor.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Develops Property Services program goals, objectives, procedures, and KPI's for all work unit activities including determination of surplus items disposition, disposal of scrap, screening of electronics for disposition, sales of surplus furniture and equipment, internet sales of specialty surplus items, special events management including surplus auctions, moving and hauling, and centrally controlled classroom furniture purchase and management.
- Analyzes current processes and implements changes as necessary to ensure timely, accurate, and cost effective and efficient execution of services.
- Analyzes information systems and suggests/approves upgrade needs, i.e., surplus property management system, work management system, etc.
- Advises the campus and outside agencies on issues relating to Property Services operations. Develops and implements policies and procedures for UCB and other campuses and entities that utilize UCB surplus disposal services.
- Ensures campus compliance with Federal, State and campus rules and laws as they pertain to property disposal of items containing sensitive, personally identifiable information and/or hazardous materials.
- Manages quarterly auction processes for surplus property including auction company selection and negotiation, and proper disbursement of resulting sales revenues.
- Conducts cost/benefit analyses of each facet of the services offered.
- Determines what new services will be offered to campus and what current services are most appropriate.
- Works with the Distribution Center (DC) Associate Director, Chief Sustainability Officer, Facilities Management Sustainability and Resiliency Program Manager, the Zero Waste Team, and other entities in pursuing new opportunities to better dispose of surplus property, in alignment with campus sustainability policies and objectives.
- Regularly monitors what other higher education institutions are pursuing regarding new sustainability opportunities. Travels to seminars, conferences, workshops, and other universities to review new concepts.
- Develops and implements short- and long-term marketing strategies for Property Services. Negotiates agreements and develops good relationships with appropriate vendors.
- Leads customer service/customer satisfaction initiatives for Property Services in conjunction with the DC Associate Director, including establishing service benchmarks, gathering customer feedback, training staff to meet established goals, assessing outcomes, and modifying processes and services to meet needs.
- Manages all aspects of personnel administration for Property Services. Assesses staffing requirements, hires, trains, schedules and sets salaries for personnel.
- Complies with state personnel rules and university, campus and Facilities Management policies and procedures. Provides direct supervision to the operations supervisor (LTC OPS I) and second-level supervision to eight additional FTE, as well as student employees.
- Conducts performance planning and evaluations for subordinates.
- Ensures the provision of training for Property Services staff, including communication and teambuilding, hazardous materials handling, safety training, forklift certification, customer service, diversity and other skill sessions, workshops and UCB mandated training.
- Develops budgets in conjunction with the DC Associate Director.
- Oversees billing and ensures accurate billing for services. Ensures accurate and appropriate expenditures by operations staff.
- Maintains an accurate transaction audit trail for equipment for presentation during audits.
- Prepares and presents various reports, analyses and studies as required or requested by the DC Associate Director or in response to campus or system-wide initiatives.
- Analyzes, evaluates and costs out various operational systems and opportunities.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $70,000, commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be collaborative. Be strategic. Be sustainable. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Three years of experience with warehouse management, including logistics and inventory control
- Three years of experience supervising diverse personnel
- Experience in researching, designing, and leading implementation of process improvements
- Experience using MS Office tools, including MS Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Valid Driver's License
What you will need:
- Knowledge, understanding, and passion for sustainability
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills and political acumen, including the ability to effectively represent the campus to outside entities
- Ability to identify, analyze, summarize and communicate information and formulate recommendations and/or negotiate resolutions
What we'd like you to have:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Experience with disposition of surplus property
- Experience with managing moving and hauling operations
- Work history that includes institutions of higher education
- Knowledge of CU Boulder campus
- Knowledgeable and skilled in managing budgets
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by August 15, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-10453.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10492 - Facilities Management
Posting Date: Aug 2, 2017
Closing Date: Aug 15, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00736307