Employee Services provides the CU community with services from recruitment to retirement. The office provides technical expertise while administering benefits, professional development, payroll, individual tax management, and strategic HR programs. The functional areas of Employee Services include payroll, technologies, benefits, retirement, financial education, learning and development, international tax and human resources.
The Data Analyst will represent Employee Services as a data and reporting professional, serving as a liaison to University Information Systems (UIS) and our campus partners. This position will provide support for Human Capital Management (HCM) data and reporting requests including but not limited to querying, analyzing, and disseminating significant amounts of information to campus users with attention to detail and accuracy. This position will be under the supervision of the Data Analysis Manager and does not have any supervisory responsibilities. This position is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Responding to ad-hoc and often time-sensitive query/report requests.
- Obtaining functional specifications for query/report development.
- Writing and executing SQL scripts using a database query tool.
- Data entry into PeopleSoft HCM for use in analyses or reports.
- Verifying source data to ensure completeness and accuracy.
- Performing the following tasks in Excel:
- Importing and exporting large data sets
- Sorting and filtering large data sets
- Creating pivot tables and charts
- Performing VLOOKUPs
- Discussing data presentation requirements with campus users.
- Compiling reports, charts, or graphs that describe and interpret findings.
- Developing queries using PeopleSoft Query.
- Identifying, researching, analyzing, and correcting incorrect data in the system.
- Assisting with functional testing and providing technical support for the PeopleSoft HCM Reporting module.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To be successful in this position, one should have:
- Ability to utilize a ticketing system (Cherwell, Phire, etc.).
- Knowledge of relational databases and database theory.
- Familiarity with Secure File Transfer software (WinSCP, PuTTY, etc.).
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills with the ability to maintain confidentiality in daily operations and to conduct daily duties in a professional appearance and manner.
- Ability to speak in both business and technical terms and translate information between user groups.
- Ability to work with very large data sets while creating reports that succinctly summarize complex concepts.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and coordinate across multiple functions within an organization.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure, to manage multiple concurrent tasks and responsibilities, and to deal with changing priorities, while maintaining personal effectiveness.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with diverse groups of people of all levels throughout the organization.
- Ability to respond well to high stress environments and rapidly changing priorities.
- Ability to travel between campuses within the state of Colorado to provide training and support to campus users.
Who we are:
System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. However, this position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary range has been established at $45,000 - $50,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. Information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree from accredited institution of higher education (education requirement may be substituted by professional experience).
- At least one (1) year of experience with a database query tool (Toad, SQL Developer, SQL Tools, etc.).
- Ability to pass a Microsoft Excel test during the interview process.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field (Business Analytics, Decision Sciences, Statistics, Information Systems, etc.).
- At least two (2) years of relevant and verifiable professional experience as a data analyst or business data analyst.
- Previous experience working in institutions of higher education.
- Previous experience with PeopleSoft HCM Reporting Tools including Query, Composite Query, and/or BI Publisher.
- Previous experience with Cognos Analytics.
- Working knowledge of Affordable Care Act.
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by August 14, 2017. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 51000 - Employee Services
Posting Date: Aug 2, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Stephanie Sheldon
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00702973