Director, Employee & Labor Relations
8AM - 5PM
Commensurate with Experience
The Director of Employee & Labor Relations (ELR) oversees the provision of employee and labor relations services to the campus and plays a leadership role in programs aimed at increasing employee engagement and workplace performance. In addition to leading the ELR team, the incumbent serves as chief negotiator in local contract negotiations. The position has responsibility for representing campus interests in system wide contract negotiations, and for implementation and administration of 14 collective bargaining agreements and relevant personnel policies. The ELR team is responsible for the provision of a broad range of employee and organization focused activities such as performance management, complaint resolution, grievance administration and management consultation.
Recognizes issues that have organizational impact or future implications and advises manager appropriately.
Requires highly effective negotiation and communication skills.
Maintains effective professional relationships with department managers as well as other managers in the field.
Position requires highly effective decision-making, problem solving, critical thinking, project and initiative management and organizational leadership skills.
Has advanced knowledge of labor/employment law and the principles and techniques of labor negotiations which must be continually updated.
Must be aware of the dynamics associated with each negotiation in order to effectively represent the organization's interests.
Demonstrated ability to handle extremely difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively.
Provides written analyses and oral presentations to management.
Maintains a thorough understanding of the goals of the organization and ways in which this position can support those goals.
Requires specialized knowledge of other areas with human resources function including compensation, employee relations, and employee benefits.
Requires advanced knowledge of the principles of advocacy, and applicable state and federal laws and court decisions.
Requires skills associated with working in a highly collaborative manner.
Must have thorough knowledge of the organization's policies and procedures relating to budget and HR-related matters.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview