Financial Aid Counselor
Salary: $44,200 - $55,000
Title: Financial Aid Counselor
Category: Management and Professional
Department: Financial Aid
Date Posted: 08/02/2017
Position Information: Participates with other counselors, the Assistant Director and Associate Director in the ongoing development and enhancement of the UCR Financial Aid Office processing system (Banner); presents financial aid information both on and off-campus to groups of students, prospective students; Active contributor to discussions and recommends change when appropriate to better meet the needs to the populations served; Use an understanding of the special needs and problems experienced by students from disadvantaged backgrounds and address these needs by offering supportive guidance, options and when appropriate, financial assistance. Provide guidance on supplementary forms and explanations needed to meet individual circumstances; Composes correspondence to students and other clients relative to aid eligibility and office policy and procedures; performs special assignments and other duties as assigned by the Director of Financial Aid, Associate Director, or Assistant Director. This recruitment is for two positions.
Minimum Requirements: Basic knowledge of policies, regulations, and practices for awarding financial aid.
Experience using complex databases.
Ability to assess processes and recommend improvements. Good interpersonal skills.
Organizational skills and ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
Ability to calculate financial aid with attention to detail and accuracy.
Proficiency with standard office software, internet, and email applications. Basic knowledge of common University-specific computer application programs.
Problem identification and critical thinking skills.
Basic knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
Ability to apply knowledge of policies to individual situations.
Demonstrates written and verbal communication skills. Active listening skills. Possesses customer service orientation skills.
Preferred Qualifications: Basic knowledge of University policies, processes, and procedures.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview