Salary: $34,536 - $43,824
Category: Management and Professional
Department: Dining Services
Date Posted: 08/02/2017
Position Information: The Baker is responsible for providing team leadership in the daily production of large batch and multiple bakery products from a cycle menu. Weighs, sifts, measures and mixes baking ingredients; prepares and bakes breads, rolls, cookies, pies, cakes, biscuits, puddings, cobblers, brownies and other baked good items. Operates ovens, mixers, and other equipment. Adheres to all food handling and sanitation guidelines. Follows established recipes and timelines for food production of items in a high-volume environment. The work schedule for this position is Monday to Friday from 2:00 am - 10:30 am.
Minimum Requirements: Three (3) years of experience in the preparation of high volume baking and general maintenance of a bakery or kitchen area; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, write and perform basic arithmetic calculations.
Knowledge and expertise in a variety of baking techniques and recipes prepared for a large dining/food service program. Ability to prepare recipes of a complexity appropriate to the job level and perform multiple task simultaneously.
Ability to accurately read and understand recipes and menus, accurately estimate food inventory requirements, check production and keep records in order to accurately produce baked goods.
Knowledge of safety techniques and procedures for food preparation, storage and service.
Knowledge of merchandising and presentation techniques for display bakery items.
Ability to taste product for quality and adjust recipe accordingly for quality result.
Ability to communicate in English with skills and abilities sufficient to interact with co-workers, direct other staff, provide training to less experienced staff and students, and interact with customers. Ability to follow oral and written instructions and recipes.
Must adhere and meet the Injury Illness Prevention Program Guidelines: Work in a safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk. Comply with applicable policies and procedures and regulations, using personal safety gear, observing warning signs, learning about potential hazards and reporting unsafe conditions. Must be able to exert well-paced mobility of up to four (4) hours in length and stand continuously throughout an eight (8) hour shift on uncarpeted surfaces. Must be able to move 20 pounds frequently and 50 pounds occasionally following proper safety guidelines. Must be able to stand, walk, climb, stoop, push, pull, reach and crouch for extended periods of time, as required to complete job assignments. Ability to work in temperature extremes, continuous noise and physical risks found in food service environments.
Hired candidate must successfully complete online Food Handlers Certificate Training within the first thirty (30) days of appointment start date.
Preferred Qualifications: Culinary Arts certificate or degree in a culinary field.
Serve Safe Food Safety Certification.
Experience in using Food Pro or similar inventory control system.
Computer skills sufficient to use Excel, Word, Outlook and web-based programs to prepare or input data into reports.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview