Executive Director for Sponsored Programs
Scope of Job
Responsible for the oversight, direction and management of all assigned departments, including, pre-award research, post-award sponsored project administration and policy development, and research compliance.
Description of Duties
• Plans, directs and manages all operations of the University’s Sponsored Programs activities. Work is closely coordinated with the senior research leadership team, along with other university officers, in particular the Deans of Academic units including the School of Medicine, the associate deans for research, and the administrators of Academic Affairs, Grants and Contracts, Audits, Compliance, and Environmental Health and Safety, to provide a strong and unified university platform for research support.
• Leads the Office of Sponsored Programs in providing leadership, guidance and timely assistance to UTRGV Principal Investigators in all aspects of sponsored project activities.
• Collaborates and coordinates with faculty and staff in securing external funding to support the research mission of UTRGV as an emerging research institution.
• Responsible for the operations, management, coordination of pre-award research, post award and sponsored project administration and policy development for research, research compliance, and export controls.
• Oversees all compliance committees (IRB, IACUC, and IBC) and provides support in promoting, strengthening, and expanding interdisciplinary, translational, and multi-institutional research collaborations at the local, national, and international levels.
• Serves as the delegate of authority for the Senior Vice President in his/her absence.
• Ensures that all dimensions of university research are conducted in rigorous compliance with all pertinent rules and regulations in accordance with the highest ethical standards.
• Supervises work assignments, performance evaluations, and hiring of Director of Grants and Contracts, Director of Sponsored Programs, Director of Research Compliance, and Export Control Manager and other assigned staff.
• Develops and oversees short and long-range plans, conceptual designs, budget requirements and documentation for assigned areas.
• Responsible for the timely submission of reports to pertinent state agencies and to internal constituents of the sponsored research activities from UTRGV’s faculty and staff are provided and completed in a timely manner by OSP, Grants and Contracts, Research Compliance, and Export Controls.
• Ensures accountability, effectiveness, customer service, and streamlining of research administration operations.
• Accountable for the establishment and up keeping of policies and procedures within the assigned area.
• Stays abreast of any revisions according to regulatory changes and evaluates the potential impact for the university and unit.
• Responsible for overseeing and managing assigned budgets.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
Master’s degree in business administration, research administration or related field from an accredited university.
Seven (7) years of academic or research administration and/or clinical or academic research experience, including leadership experience in fulfilling the educational and research mission of a university, including two (2) years of supervisory experience. Experience in research proposal development and in interdisciplinary and multi-institutional collaborations.
Experience obtained in a tier 1 research institution. Knowledge of Export Controls rules and regulations, Research Compliance, Conflict of Interest, time & effort, IRB, IACUC, IBC.
Use of standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required.
Exerting up to 5 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time.
Proven leadership skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and strong skills in planning, communication, and organization. Knowledge and interpretation of Office of Management and Budget (OMB) circulars and other sponsored guidelines, policies, regulations, and procedures for the management of contracts for federal, state, local, and/ or private entities.
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.