Accounts Receivable/Billing Specialist
When Bay Path opened its doors to students in downtown Springfield, MA in 1897, it had a very clear goal: to provide a practical, affordable, and career-oriented education to meet the needs of companies, organizations, and communities. From the beginning, Bay Path prided itself on being entrepreneurial, constantly pushing the boundaries of the academic experience to fit the student. To start them on the road of success. We still do.
Today, that spirit and philosophy is more important than ever in higher education. At Bay Path, it's not just the number and breadth of undergraduate and graduate programs that defines us-and we have many-but it is our ability to connect the classroom to learning to leadership to experience to career that is at the core of what we do best. We know the work that needs to be done.
Bay Path University, an independent and not-for-profit institution, was named Among Fastest Growing Baccalaureate Colleges by the Chronicle of Higher Education Almanac, and is a member of the Women's College Coalition. With a main campus in Longmeadow, MA and four satellite locations, (East Longmeadow, Sturbridge, Concord, Springfield), Bay Path offers undergraduate, graduate (for women and men) degrees, and professional certificates.
We're committed to preparing our students to navigate a constantly changing world. Whether it is one of our innovative academic programs, groundbreaking online learning platform, or through our Women as Empowered Learners and Leaders initiative, we educate our students in ways that will help them to grow, learn to adapt, and always to flourish. Be part of the change.
We invite you to visit our website at www.baypath.edu where you can learn more about Bay Path University.
- Position Code: ARBS
- Job Type: Full-time
- Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Schedule: Monday through Friday
- Position Location: Longmeadow
Perform student billing functions; assist in reconciliation of student accounts; analyze and prepare reports for student accounts receivable; perform collection procedures for students with outstanding balances that have withdrawn/graduated.
- Recommend, implement and ensure compliance with University policies and procedures.
- Prepare reports regarding student A/R balances, deposits and collections.
- Maintain Jenzabar billing/refund definitions and miscellaneous charge codes
- Generate and email billing statements for enrolled students. Mail billing statements to unenrolled students.
- Run processes and post billing charges, tuition adjustments, late fees and other debits and credits to bills. Review detail before posting.
- Maintain communications to students regarding billing statements.
- Responsible for the 3rd Party billing process.
- Invoice and assist International Students with the reconciliation of their accounts.
- Oversee student health insurance process with vendor. This includes reconciling invoices to the billing system, processing waiver submissions and preparing the annual reports to the MA Qualifying Student Health Insurance Program.
- Answer questions from students/parents with concerns regarding Health Insurance and billing.
- Monitor credit balances on student accounts and initiate student refunds as necessary, in compliance with Department of Education regulations. Review detail before posting.
- Work with 3rd party collection agencies to collect from past due student accounts.
- Assist in management of the Perkins loan program.
- Serve as back-up for A/R Specialist function as needed.
- Assist others in the business office as needed.
- Assist in preparation of annual 1098-T tax reporting.
- Assist in annual audit and various University functions as needed.
- Work collaboratively with Student Financial Services staff to assist students in reconciling their tuition accounts.
- Attend trainings as required.
- Bachelor's degree in related field and 3-5 years experience in an accounting or business office environment, preferably in a university or non-profit setting or equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Collections experience preferred.
- Knowledge of financial aid process preferred.
- Previous cash handling experience preferred.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong analytical ability.
- Ability to perform detailed work and produce accurate results.
- Ability to work independently; organize and prioritize work assignments; perform work with frequent deadlines; and work efficiently and effectively with external pressure to complete assignments.
- Ability to work well in a team environment; establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, faculty, staff, students, vendors and the general public.
- Ability to work with and maintain confidential material.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel; ability to use a 10-key and/or calculator effectively.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and in alignment with the Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations.
- Willingness to work flexible and extended schedule including evenings when necessary.
- Ability to follow University policies and procedures.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Should be committed to a culture of diversity, respect and inclusion.
- Experience effectively engaging backgrounds, identities and communities different from one's own.
- General knowledge of the University's mission, purpose and goals and the role this position plays in achieving those goals.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Bay Path University is a diverse community devoted to proactively nurturing a campus-wide culture that promotes and ensures respect, inclusion and safety for all members regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, socio-economic background, or physical ability. We are one University that opens our hearts and minds to conversations, to learning and to creating a community that is welcoming of all. Regardless of position, it is expected that each employee will embrace this commitment and demonstrate an attitude of respect toward and acceptance of all members of our community.
Applicants for this position should attach a cover letter resume / curriculum vitae, the contact information for four (4) professional, work related references and any other relevant information pertaining to this position and your candidacy. Please apply online. Faxes and emails will not be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Bay Path University is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.