This is the most exciting time to be working at University College at Azusa Pacific University! With our team of dedicated professionals and faculty, we are creating a new hope for the future by investing in lives through learning pathways that are Christ-centered, flexible and accessible.
If you want to join a dynamic, God-first culture that strives to provide quality academic programs to countless students, we welcome you to apply.
Be a part of this powerful campus of an already-prestigious university that offers flexibility and innovative delivery of education to learners everywhere.
If you have a passion for service, education and innovation, we’re interested in talking to you!
We offer a competitive benefits package for eligible employees including: 30 days Paid Time Off, med/dental/vision plans, life/LTD/ADD insurance, retirement and tuition assistance.
POSITION: Success Coach
DEPARTMENT: Student Success
APPOINTMENT: Full Time
LOCATION: San Dimas, CA
STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
This position provides support services to the diverse student body of Azusa Pacific University College. Primary areas of focus include academic advising, basic financial aid guidance, strengths development, spiritual formation, and general support services for students.
Required Experience / Education / Characteristics
- Associate’s degree
- Telecommunication or customer service experience in a support or customer service environment.
Desired Experience / Education / Characteristics
- Bachelor's Degree Preferred
- Two years of experience in student services within a higher education or adult education environment.
- A demonstrated track record of providing student services in an education environment. Mentoring and coaching experience preferred, or successful completion of 4 week Success Coach Training program.
- Knowledge of nontraditional higher education.
- Christian Commitment: Vital Christian faith and lifestyle.
- Supportive of the evangelical mission and purpose of University College
- Provide one-on-one support for students in the areas of spiritual formation, strengths development, academic advising, basic financial aid advising, career counseling, student involvement and online academic engagement while fostering student development through clarification of academic, professional, and personal goals using strategies that contribute to successful academic completion.
- Serve as an individual support to students; monitor the progress of students and provide the encouragement and support necessary to enable students to complete their course of study, interceding with at-risk students to reduce attrition through referrals to internal and external programs for additional support services or for crisis intervention counseling and follow-up as needed.
- Articulate the requirements of the general education core requirements while working with students to develop an individualized plan to reach their academic goals.
- Direct students to utilize their strengths and available educational resources to encourage greater levels of personal responsibility for their learning.
- Encourage students through life events, obstacles and challenges through moral support and prayer.
- Coordinate efforts and work with the various student services departments and staff as needed to stay current with policy and procedures as well as to identify and recommend appropriate services designed to address the needs of online students
- Compile data as directed on program services, activities, and students. Maintain accurate, organized, and detailed student records and develop and maintain reports as required or assigned for retention purposes and evaluating students to make sure the program objectives are met.
- Interpret, apply and abide by the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and parental confidentiality issues.
- Carrying out other duties and responsibilities assigned by supervisor(s).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proven interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to effectively, professionally, and tactfully interact with others.
- Ability to work collaboratively across organizational units and with a diverse faculty/staff team and student body on issues specifically related to student engagement and non-traditional learning.
- Knowledge of nontraditional education course delivery models and success strategies.
- Strong command of the English language with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong overall organizational skills, detail-oriented, with an ability to plan and manage multiple projects concurrently, while maintaining an orderly work environment with little supervision.
- Willingness to work flexible or additional hours to accommodate institutional needs.
- Ability to work effectively in a changing service environment that is subject to frequent interruptions.
- Ability to formulate, interpret, adapt, and apply policies and regulations in a complex university setting.
- Ability to maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and appropriate software applications within online education.
- Ability to type accurate notes while talking on the telephone.
- Must maintain a positive, cooperative, Christ-like attitude supportive of the University and its mission.
- Ability to research, gather data, compile information, and accurately prepare reports.
- Ability to investigate, analyze information, and draw conclusions.
- Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information
- This position includes the following physical demands. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment.
- Visual acuity to read words and numbers.
- Speaking and hearing ability sufficient to communicate in person or over the telephone.
- Ability to exert up to 10 pounds of force and occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
- Word processing and spreadsheet applications (i.e. Google docs, MS Excel)
- E-mail applications (i.e. gmail)
- Course Management System—Moodle
- Jenzabar – Student Records, Student Financials, Student Accounts
- Presentation software—(i.e., MS PowerPoint)
Azusa Pacific University College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.