Director of Educational & Research Technology Services
The Director of Educational & Research Technology Services reports to the Vice President for Information Technology and works collaboratively with the other units within the Information Technology Department in supporting faculty and students in their use of technology in instruction, learning, and research.
The Director is responsible for 15 full time staff members comprised of instructional designers, instructional technologists, student computing service managers, and approximately 20 student assistants. He/She also has oversight for the Educational Technology Center, Student Services (such as the Technical Support Center), Learning Support and Repair Center, and PridePrint (student printing). The Director will also be involved in overseeing two openaccess labs and working collaboratively with other teams and schools in overseeing technology equipped classrooms and teaching labs throughout the campus.
- Developing, in collaboration with faculty, a vision of how Hofstra University’s teaching learning and scholarly activities are to be supported by technology and related technical services.
- Works closely with the Senate Committee on Academic Computing, and technology committees of the individual colleges, which serve in an advisory role to the Information Technology Department on the technology needs of the Hofstra faculty and students.
- Partners with faculty to integrate technology into the curriculum and provide expertise in the application of emerging technologies.
- Provides leadership in identifying new technologies of interest to faculty.
- Provides training on topics of interest to faculty to promote the use of technology.
- Provides expert consulting and support in key areas of technology of relevance to research and related grant opportunities.
- Supports students use of advanced software by providing, through Learning Support, tutors to assist students.
- Provides technical support for software and hardware used in the classroom.
- Serves as the faculty and student advocate in all Information Technology Department operational and planning decisions.
- Collaborates across disciplines and build strong relationships with faculty and administration.
- Navigates complex budgetary and staffing challenges to provide creative solutions while being a responsible steward of University resources.
- Master’s degree required. Terminal degree strongly preferred.
- A thorough understanding of the technologies appropriate for use in higher education teaching, learning, and scholarship.
- Proven experience with Learning Management Systems and Databases.
- Demonstrated experience managing technology projects, and strong skills in the use of technology, in the classroom and online.
- Higher Education experience required with teaching experience preferred.
- Proven ability in managing staff, budgets, and complex projects.
- Demonstrated ability to provide customer-centric technical support.
- Administrative experience in higher education preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Involvement in academic technology organizations such as EDUCAUSE and NERCOMP.
For consideration, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a cover letter outlining your vision for using technology to support the teaching, learning and scholarship of a university. Also, please include your compensation requirements in your letter.
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.