Student Financial Services Counselor
Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Student Financial Services Counselor supports learning by providing financial aid information and counseling to undergraduate and graduate students at the university, to facilitate the enrollment of students, consistent with the university's mission, accreditation standards and regulatory guidelines.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Counsels students, parents, and employees on all aspects of financial aid programs and processes (federal, state, university, private). Students counseled include prospective freshman, transfer, adult and graduate students.
- Maintains and applies knowledge of federal, state, university and private policies and procedures regarding financial aid.
- Determines financial aid eligibility for students and calculates financial aid awards. Work with students to determine a comprehensive financial plan for attendance at Aurora University. Use knowledge to solve problems related to financial aid.
- Coordinates and completes the verification process.
- Processes required documentation for financial aid. Assists students with loan processing.
- Completes Entrance and Exit Interview requirements.
- Works with team to develop, maintain and evaluate financial aid policy and processes, to ensure complete, accurate and efficient service to students.
- Participates in financial aid workshops, seminars, and open houses.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree required.
- One to three years' experience in financial aid required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to interact with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and parents and to develop strong working relationship with colleagues, staff, administrators, students and the general public.
- Flexibility with an evolving work situation.
- Knowledge of spreadsheet software; knowledge of Colleague/Ellucian desired.
- Valid Illinois driver's license.
- Ability to travel when necessary to off-campus evening and weekend events, providing own vehicle.
- Ability to move about campus and move about at those locations.
- Ability to interact via telephone, in person and via electronic media.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission included. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
firstname.lastname@example.org - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to becoming a model university of the twenty-first century. Toward this effort we are determined to have a faculty, staff, and student body reflecting the cultural demographics of the Greater Chicago land Area.