Area Coordinator, Center for Student Engagement
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The Center for Student Engagement (CSE) aims to enhance all aspects of the student experience at GW, including on-campus living, fraternity and sorority life, leadership development, student organizations, outdoor adventure, off-campus and graduate students, as well as sub-populations such as first-generation or international students. Our CSE team is committed to leadership, community, advising and our own departmental excellence. We strive to serve not only our students, but also each other as colleagues.
Area Coordinator responsibilities include:
• Oversight of a building or a configuration of buildings, along with the overall performance of both graduate and undergraduate staff. The Area Coordinator directly supervises 1-3 Residence Directors (RDs) and indirectly supervises the 5 to 17 Resident Advisors (RAs) assigned to the building of configuration. This includes the transition to and from summer operations.
• Serving as part of an Administrator-on-Call team, responding to campus emergencies or other events that require a professional staff member's presence. Ensures that university policies and regulations are adhered to in the residence halls. Perform administrative searches when authorized by the Director on Call.
• Collaborating with campus partners to implement and plan programmatic efforts, such as lecture series, study groups, and developmental workshops, in order to facilitate opportunities for academic success.
• Responding to parent and student issues related to academic concerns, residential living, roommates conflicts or general questions.
• Advises student organizations by providing support and development at a transaction, relational, and transformation level. Advising relationships will vary based on the organizational needs, but may include communicating policies and procedures, proactively identifying problematic issues with student organizations, facilitating relationships, strategic planning, and holding organizations accountable to policy while supporting their goals and activities.
• Serving as a primary CSE liaison for the Faculty Guide and Faculty-in-Residence programs.
• Serving on CSE cross-functional teams related to duty, selection, and residential education. Occasionally represents the Dean of Students on university committees and at functions and events. Supports division-wide projects and initiatives.
• Performs other duties as assigned including participating in and supporting CSE special events and activities, representing the CSE at university-wide events and activities, and serving on committees. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
This is a residential position, on campus Housing is provided
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Supervising experience
- Experience advising and working with student organizations
- Experience serving in a crisis management, on-call and/or duty capacity
- Strong problem-solving skills
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: Division of Student Affairs Family Student Affairs Sub-Family Housing Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40+ Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:30 pm with weekend, evening and on-call responsibilities Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006538 Job Open Date: 08/01/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your salary range expectation?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter