I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The Corcoran School of the Arts and Design bridges the George Washington University's (GW) academically robust programs in the arts with Corcoran's creative and inspired scholarship. Part of GW's Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, the school functions as an incubator for artists and practitioners in arts-related fields, and serves to enrich students who are taking classes in other areas of the university. As such, it provides a platform for engagement that bridges creative expression and practical application with the breadth and depth of the larger liberal arts education.
The School Senior Accountant is focused on approving some and initiating other fiscal transactions for the school. Namely, the Senior Accountant would receive requests from other authorized school staff for payments beyond those enabled by PCards, and evaluate those requests. If authorized and budgeted, the request should proceed - with the Senior Accountant preparing all requisitions, supplemental compensation payments, accounts payable and receivable, honorarium payments, invoices, journal entries, graduate tuition awards, and assist with sponsored research related fiscal operations.
The School Senior Accountant would work closely with the Administrative Supervisor and the Administrator Director, Operations to track and manage school expenses and use a shadow accounting system to ensure that school budget goals are met. Further, the Senior Accountant would utilize both shadow accounting and university financial reports to provide accurate and timely spending reports to Program Heads. This shall include pulling Budget Performance Reports (BPRs) and similar university generated reports on a monthly basis to reconcile charges against shadow accounting systems.
• Receive, evaluate, and execute payment requests from authorized school staff, including preparing all requisitions, supplemental compensation payments, accounts payable and receivable, honorarium payments, student prizes, invoices, and journal entries.
• Maintain a shadow accounting system, entering data for any expense or miscellaneous non-tuition revenue which hits any Corcoran account onto internal tracking documents. Check all transactions monthly against BPRs and reconcile any erroneous charges or inter-departmental reimbursements as necessary.
• Contributes to internal financial controls through activities like preparing reports, oversight of department financial transactions, and participating in financial planning conversations.
• Assist faculty who have received sponsored research or other grant funding by creating appropriate internal tracking, monitoring their spending, preparing payment requests or other transactions beyond PCard level, and ensuring inter-departmental reimbursements when necessary.
• Work with Program Heads and the Assistant Director for Operations and Assistant Director for Recruitment and Admissions to receive and input all graduate awards for the Corcoran during the admissions season.
• Act as expense delegate for the School Director, preparing all expense reports on the Director's behalf and submitting reports through Concur in a timely fashion.
• Performs other work related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 2 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
Experience with GWU's enterprise accounting systems highly desired.
Bachelors Degree in non-profit management, accounting, business or similar field.
2+ years of prior accounting, administrative, or office management experience.
Excel proficiency and Google applications fluency.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: Corcoran Family Finance and Business Sub-Family Accounting Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday-Friday; 830am-530pm Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? Yes (University Wide) Posting Number: S006542 Job Open Date: 08/01/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you currently work for the George Washington University at the Corcoran School of The Arts and Design?
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter