JOB NO.: 91579-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: FP&M/AVC/BUDGET&FIN REPORTING
Categories: Accounting, Finance, Purchasing
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 91579-AS
Working Title: Senior Accountant
Official Title: SR ACCOUNTANT(R10BN)
Hiring Department: A710540-FACILITIES PLNG AND MGMT/AVC/BUDGET&FIN REPORTING
Anticipated Begin Date: SEPTEMBER 05, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $55,406 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Prefer an undergraduate degree in accounting or related field.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
A minimum of 3 years of accounting experience including development of budgets and preparation of accrual based financial statements. Prefer experience in governmental or university accounting and experience in cost allocations and rate determination.
License or certificate:
Professional certification such as Certified Public Accountant or Certified Government Financial Manager.
Under the general supervision of the Accounting Supervisor, serve as staff accountant for assigned units within Facilities Planning & Management. Assignments could consist of any of the following Departments: Transportation Services, Fleet Services, , Space Management Office (SMO), Associate Vice Chancellor's Office (AVC), Environment Health and Safety, Capital Planning and Development, Campus Planning and Landscape Architecture, Lakeshore Preserve, Physical Plant, and other smaller or newer departments. Develop and implement financial policies and procedures; calculate and propose rates to be charged to customers; prepare financial reports; coordinate responses to information requested by auditors, other universities, and other governmental agencies; prepare annual budgets and five-year forecasts; coordinate the development, entry and reconciliation of the annual operating budget for assigned departments; and participate as a member of the Finance and Budget team.
Fleet Services and Transportation Services are classified as major auxiliaries by Auxiliary Operations Analysis and have annual operating budgets of $3.6 million and $19.6 million, respectively, in program revenue funds (128). The remaining departments have a combined GPR budget (funds 101, 150) of $64 million and minor auxiliary (fund 128) operations of $1.2 million. Physical Plant also has a fund 128 budget of $41 million, fund 109 (utilities appropriation) of 91 million.
The mission of Facilities Planning and Management (FP&M) is to provide excellence in facilities and services for our university community. This position will present a positive, courteous attitude in all interactions with colleagues at the university and state, as well as with students, visitors and the general public.
A. Development and implementation of financial policies and procedures for assigned departments; calculation of proposed rates to be charged for services; coordination of billing process for Capital Projects.
1. Develop and implement procedures to verify the accuracy of revenue, expenditures, and encumbrances posted to accounting control.
2. Maintain written documentation of accounting policies and procedures. Recommend changes to existing policies and new policies as needed. Assist with implementation of the changes.
3. Calculate, document and propose rates to be charged to customers.
4. Perform internal audits of cash handling and other financial processes throughout the division of Facilities Planning and Management.
5. Provide consulting services for customers on accounting-related issues.
6. Work with the Department of Administration to monitor payment status of capital projects.
7. Bill the various UW divisions for the capital projects and monitor payment status and determine payment amounts and process payments for projects paid by the VC Administration office and Physical Plant
B. Preparation of financial reports; coordination of information requested by auditors, other universities, and other governmental agencies.
1. Review expenditures, credits, transfers, revenues, encumbrances, and balances on monthly accounting control ledgers. Identify posting errors and initiate corrective entries.
2. Ensure compliance with University policies and procedures, internal control processes and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
3. Prepare monthly and yearend cash flow statement, balance sheet, and income statements for departments utilizing 128 funds.
4. Provide information as requested by internal and external auditors, other universities and other governmental agencies.
5. Complete annual reports regarding other costs in format required by various reporting entities.
6. Prepare monthly management reports for managers on funds 101, 128, and 150 as applicable.
C. Preparation of the annual budgets and five-year forecasts when necessary.
1. Based on projections for purchases and equipment for the current and next six years, determine cash requirements and forecast additional depreciation and repairs/maintenance or other expenses. Prepare schedules forecasting cash outlays for repairs and maintenance, bond payments capital purchases for the current and next six years in the required format.
2. Prepare analysis of funding needs for capital projects and savings from fond refunding.
3. Develop projections of revenue for current and next six years based on appropriate data and proposed rate increases.
4. Based on input from unit managers regarding proposed operational and staffing changes and guidelines from reporting entities, calculate projected supplies and services, salary and fringe benefit expenditures for current and next six years.
5. Combine all information regarding current year projections, future-year budget, and five-year forecast in the required format and provide supplementary information as needed for presentation to the various management teams and decision boards.
D. Coordination of the development, entry and reconciliation of the annual operating budget for assigned departments.
1. Work with managers to allocate the annual budgets by cost center for fund 101 and calculate and document proposed budgets for non-major auxiliaries 128. Prepare the128 budget and three year forecast for reporting to the Auxiliary Operations Analysis department.
2. Enter appointments, vacant positions, salary provisions and budgeted supplies/services, capital, and sales credits for the future year's budgets into the Universitys budget system. Reconcile budget entries to departmental operating budget allocation on fund 101 and Red-Book for fund 128. Coordinate funding changes for staff salaries with FP&M-Personnel and Payroll office.
3. Recommend reallocations of GPR funds between FP&M departments.
3. Monitor and report increases to current fiscal years budget due to represented and non-represented pay plans, program change allocations, and transfers between FP&M departmental budgets.
E. Participation as a member of the Finance and Budget team.
1. Consult with Finance and Budget team members on a variety of financial issues.
2. Participate in special projects, individually or as a member of a team, as assigned.
3. Obtain training and provide backup support to the FP&M accountants as needed.
4. Promote a positive work environment and encourage open exchanges of ideas.
5. Other duties as assigned.
Instructions to applicants:
Please click on the "Apply Now" button to start the application process. Please upload a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please address your experience with the knowledge and skills of the position.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 01 Aug 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 29 Aug 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time