Posting Number NC822P
Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.uark.edu/postings/21678
Working Title Director, CBER
Position Number 9410
Department Walton College of Business
About the University
Founded in 1871 as a land grant institution, the University of Arkansas is classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the top two percent of universities in the nation with the highest level of research activity. Ten colleges and schools serve more than 27,100 students with more than 200 academic programs. University of Arkansas students earn nationally competitive awards at an impressive rate and represent 50 states and more than 120 countries.
Located in the stunning Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas, Fayetteville is home to the University of Arkansas campus, known for its spectacular views and ample green spaces. Fayetteville is considered one of the country's finest college towns, and the surrounding northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked one of the best places to live in the U.S. Some of the nation's best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus.
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
About the College/Department
Department Home Page http://walton.uark.edu/
Job Type Staff
Summary of Job Duties
The Director will be a thought leader and responsible for designing and overseeing the applied economic, economic development and outreach efforts of the Walton College. By expanding its applied economic research, economic development and outreach capabilities, the Walton College seeks to be a catalyst for economic development in Northwest Arkansas and the state of Arkansas. Additionally, the College seeks to raise its profile as a globally recognized, university leader in applied economic research in a manner that is consistent with its mission.
The Director must have the necessary domain knowledge, statistical and economic underpinnings and communication skills necessary to oversee and communicate research findings. The position will also support the outreach efforts of the Walton College and must have the communication and personal skills to interface with the foremost national and global leaders in industries such as retail, transportation, technology, finance and healthcare.
The Director will be responsible for the management and development of the Center for Business and Economic Research (CBER). The Center provides applied economic and business research to federal, state, and local government as well as to current and potential businesses looking to expand in Northwest Arkansas. Responsibilities include achievement of mission, goals, and objectives, as well as day-to-day management.
Research areas of interest to CBER include, but are not limited to, how regions can prepare themselves to compete with technology and innovation conversion, research commercialization, investments in health and well-being, human capital and labor-force training, entrepreneurship, access to capital and early-stage financing, and quality-of-place issues as well as determining the geographic distribution of economic activity.
The Director will have overall responsibility for assisting government agencies and firms with analysis of local, state, and national business and economic conditions. The Director will also be responsible for interacting with local, state, and national media with respect to economic conditions and policies in Arkansas and serves as the spokesperson for the College on these matters. He or she is also responsible for generating externally funded grants and projects which produce a substantial portion of the Center's budget.
Minimum Qualifications: Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
- Master's degree in an economics or a related area
- A minimum of ten years of experience in a position related to applied economic research and the demonstrated ability to direct economic research and development projects and consulting with business and governments, think tanks, university research, and/or international industry organizations
- Proven record of outstanding written and oral presentation skills and a proven track record of demonstrating impact
- A track record of successfully directing externally funded projects
- Substantial experience developing relationships with government agencies and private industry
Does this job require any license(s)/certification(s)? No
If yes, please specify na
- Ph.D. in economics or a related field
- Economic research or economic development leadership experience
- More than ten years of experience in a position related to applied economic research and the demonstrated ability to direct economic research and development projects and consulting with business and governments, think tanks, university research, and/or international industry organizations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Outstanding written and oral presentation skills
- Strong economic research skills
- Leadership ability
- Ability to create and sustain strong working relationships with business and governments, think tanks, university research, and/or international industry organizations
Physical activities associated with this position
The following physical activities are associated with the position and will be performed with or without an accommodation. All individuals are encouraged to apply.
- Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding
- Repetitive motion
The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; and/or visual inspection at distances close to the eyes.
Physical Conditions None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
Work Schedule Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (schedule may vary based on department needs to include evenings/weekends for special events).
Overtime Eligible No
Is this position weather/event essential? If yes, the employee in this position will report to work at the scheduled time when the University is closed due to inclement conditions. No
Work Location/Building Fayetteville Campus - Willard J. Walker Hall
Benefits Eligible Yes
Appointment Percent 100
Salary Commensurate to education and experience
Does this Position require a Motor Vehicle Reports Check? No
Does this position require a background check? No
Does this position require a substance abuse test? No
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
Posting Detail Information
Future Open Date
Close Date 09/15/2017
Open Until Filled No
Anticipated Start Date
Anticipated End Date (for temporary appointments)
Recruitment Contact Information
Jason Campbell, Walton HR Manager
All application materials must be uploaded to the U of A's employment system at jobs.uark.edu. Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Special Instructions Summary
Hiring Location 222 Administration Building Fayetteville, AR 72701.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race/color, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Internal Posting No
City, St. Fayetteville, AR
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Please identify your highest degree within the field of Economics, or related area, awarded from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Less than a bachelor's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree
- Doctorate degree
- Please identify your years of experience in a position related to applied economic research demonstrating the ability to direct economic research and development projects and consulting with business and governments, think tanks, university research, and/or international industry organizations.
- Less than five years
- More than five but less than ten years
- More than ten but less than fifteen years
- More than fifteen but less than twenty years
- Twenty or more years
- Do you have a proven record of outstanding written and oral presentation skills and a proven track record of demonstrating impact?
- Do you have a track record of successfully directing externally funded projects?
- Do you have substantial experience developing relationships with government agencies and private industry?
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Proof of Veterans Status