Business Process Manager for Human Resources & Payroll
Functional Title Business Process Manager for Human Resources & Payroll
Position Type Administration - Staff
The Business Process Manager for Human Resources & Payroll (BPM-HRPY) is a member of UNCG's Integrated Futures Team, and serves as senior business process design and implementation expert for Human Resources & Payroll. The BPM-HRPY works closely with other members of Integrated Futures Team (IFT), senior leaders, management and staff from The Office of Human Resources, Faculty Personnel Services, Graduate Personnel Services, Payroll, Student Career Services Center, Financial Aid (Federal Work study), Contracts and Grants, UNCG Online, Information Technology Services (ITS) staff, and other colleagues from across the university to ensure development, documentation, and maintenance of efficient, integrated, sustainable business processes. The BPM-HRPY also works closely with senior ERP Analysts from ITS, other members of IFT, and UNCG senior leadership to ensure UNCG's ERP systems support UNCG's strategic goals and regulatory requirements in the most effective way possible. The BPM-HRPY reports directly to the Executive Director for Engage Banner 9 who also serves as the IFT chair. The IFT provides strategic business process governance, and, along with senior leaders from the various units, provides ERP Systems and data governance within an Agile framework.
- Strategically manages the business process with university stakeholders, ERP Governance, and senior ERP Analysts from ITS to:
- Understand and fully document Human Resources and Payroll operational needs and how these needs function in conjunction with other UNCG business unit needs;
- Ensure proper use of UNCG's ERP systems in support of integrated business processes.
- Designs creative, efficient, integrated, and sustainable business solutions that provide for cost-effective cross-functional business processes;
- Identifies needs for new institutional business processes or changes to existing business processes to improve integration and operational efficiency, streamline procedures, provide appropriate separation of duties, ensure policy and regulatory compliance, and mitigate risk to the university;
- Collaborates with administrative areas throughout UNCG to make the customer experience clear, seamless, efficient, cost-effective, and integrated across UNCG business and academic functions.
Business Process Governance
- Works with ITS, IFT and various functional units to ensure ERP systems function in accordance with UNCG's "Principles of ERP Implementation and Operation," UNCG's "Principles of Data Management," and UNCG's "Data Classification Policy."
- Works with functional units, IFT, and ITS to ensure compliance with data quality standards and maintenance of institutional data consistency, accuracy, and
- Ensures Human Resources and Payroll business processes are designed to support UNCG's strategic plan.
- Ensures adherence to Human Resources and Payroll and university-wide business processes and policies by working with ERP and functional training specialists and managers to certify proficiency and continued compliance with business processes.
Metrics and Reporting
- Develops measurements to monitor Human Resources and Payroll business process performance and efficiency.
- Reports performance on a monthly basis, and recommends and implements changes to improve performance as needed;
- Performs other responsibilities as assigned.
As senior business process design leader for Human Resources and Payroll, the BPM-HRPY must possess
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources or Business Administration, including a minimum of 10 years of demonstrated progressive operational and leadership responsibilities in Human Resources and/or Payroll;
- Demonstrated capacity to lead ad hoc teams from functional units across the institution in development and implementation of integrated, cost-effective, customer-friendly, business processes;
- Demonstrated experience working with functional units and Information Technology experts in testing ERP systems-based solutions to business process needs;
- Experience managing development and maintenance of Human Resources and Payroll process solutions, documentation and training, both within Human Resources and/or Payroll;
- At least 5 years operational experience with ERP Human Resources and Payroll solutions in a higher education environment;
- Demonstrated understanding of some or all of these areas
- Classification and compensation philosophy and best practices
- Employment and hiring principles
- Demographic data needs
- HR-related transactions
- HRIS systems
- Federal and State payroll administration
- Employee, job, and position types and related payment types and rules
- Benefit and Deduction types and associated rules and processes for handling deductions, contributions, submissions to and reconciliations with vendors
- Leave types and associated rules for use and accrual that factor into payment, accumulation and carryover
- Payroll types and frequency, payroll cycles, labor distribution and related handling of split funded positions
- Payroll taxes including handling of periodic federal and state updates to tax tables, tax payments, control and reporting, and related controls and reconciliations
- Foreign National Tax Administration and Compliance policies and procedures
- Federal Work Study Financial Aid programs, policies, procedures and reconciliation processes
- Budgetary Position Control
- Authorization and payment for contract and grant positions, and handling of related release time or additional pay and handling of benefits.
- A proven record developing and documenting business process needs and operational use cases;
- Business process modeling experience using Agile Modeling, BPML, or other process modeling techniques;
- The strong interpersonal and verbal communications skills required to effectively lead both functional stakeholders (including senior university leaders) and technical professionals in building, testing, implementing, and measuring efficacy of Human Resources and Payroll business processes;
• Masters' Degree
• Experience as a Human Resources Director or Payroll Manager/Director
• 10 years experience in higher education
• Project leadership experience
• Agile Methodologies (Scrum, Kanban)
UNCG's Human Resources and Payroll ERP environment includes a number of third party applications. While the BPM-HRPY may not be familiar with these applications, UNCG prefers the incumbent in this position to have some operational experience or familiarity with some or all of these applications:
• Banner Workflow
• Document management and imaging (Banner Document Management, Perceptive Content/ImageNow, or other Ellucian partner)
• Reporting software (WebFOCUS, Argos, Cognos, Tableau, Rapid Insight, or other)
Tenure Status N/A
Recruitment Range Commensurate with experience
Org #-Department Banner ENGAGE - 10103
Job Open Date 07/28/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu