Business Process Manager for Advancement
Functional Title Business Process Manager for Advancement
Position Type Administration - Staff
The Business Process Manager for Advancement (BPM-ADV) is a member of UNCG's Integrated Futures Team, and serves as senior business process design and implementation expert for Advancement. The BPM-ADV works closely with other members of IFT, staff from University Advancement, ITS staff, and other colleagues from across the university to ensure development, documentation, and maintenance of efficient, integrated, sustainable business processes. The BPM-ADV also works closely with senior ERP Analysts from ITS, other members of IFT, and UNCG senior leadership to ensure UNCG's ERP systems support UNCG's strategic goals and regulatory requirements in the most effective way possible. The BPM-ADV reports directly to the Executive Director for Engage Banner 9 who also serves as the IFT chair. The IFT provides strategic business process governance, and, along with senior leaders from the various units, provides ERP Systems and data governance within an Agile framework.
- Strategically manages the business process with university stakeholders, ERP Governance, and senior ERP Analysts from ITS to:
- Understand and fully document Advancement operational needs and how these needs function in conjunction with other UNCG business unit needs;
- Ensure proper use of UNCG's ERP systems in support of integrated business processes.
- Designs creative, efficient, integrated, and sustainable business solutions that provide for cost-effective cross-functional business processes;
- Identifies needs for new institutional business processes or changes to existing business processes to improve integration and operational efficiency, streamline procedures, provide appropriate separation of duties, ensure policy and regulatory compliance, and mitigate risk to the university;
- Collaborates with administrative areas throughout UNCG to make the customer experience clear, seamless, efficient, cost-effective, and integrated across UNCG business and academic functions.
Business Process Governance
- Works with ITS, IFT and various functional units to ensure ERP systems function in accordance with UNCG's "Principles of ERP Implementation and Operation," UNCG's "Principles of Data Management," and UNCG's "Data Classification Policy."
- Works with functional units, IFT, and ITS to ensure compliance with data quality standards and maintenance of institutional data consistency, accuracy, and
- Ensures Advancement business processes are designed to support UNCG's strategic plan.
- Ensures adherence to Advancement and university-wide business processes and policies by working with ERP and functional training specialists and managers to certify proficiency and continued compliance with business processes.
Metrics and Reporting
- Develops measurements to monitor Advancement business process performance and efficiency.
- Reports performance on a monthly basis, and recommends and implements changes to improve performance as needed;
- Performs other responsibilities as assigned.
As senior business process design leader for Advancement, the BPM-ADV must possess
- Bachelor's degree and 10 years' experience in business, finance/accounting, fundraising, business process management, IT Systems or other related fields
- Functional Skills in some or all of these areas:
- Gift processing
- Prospect management
- Donor relations
- Advancement best practices
- Advancement data
- ERP module integration and dependencies
- Demonstrated capacity to lead ad hoc teams from functional units across the institution in development and implementation of integrated, cost-effective, customer-friendly, business processes;
- Demonstrated experience working with functional units and Information Technology experts in testing ERP systems-based solutions to business process needs;
- Experience managing development and maintenance of Advancement process solutions, documentation and training, both within Advancement and across an organization;
- At least 5 years operational experience with ERP Advancement solutions in a higher education environment;
- Demonstrated understanding of some or all of these areas
- Basic accounting and the effect of gifts and pledges on the general ledger
- Pledge management
- Peripheral third-party fundraising systems and the effect on the ERP
- Data that allows prospect management staff to feed major gift officers pipelines
- The integration between financial aid, endowment management and other areas that impact the office of donor relations
- The relationship between event management and advancement data needs
- A proven record developing and documenting business process needs and operational use cases;
- Business process modeling experience using Agile Modeling, BPML, or other process modeling techniques;
- The strong interpersonal and verbal communications skills required to effectively lead both functional stakeholders (including senior university leaders) and technical professionals in building, testing, implementing, and measuring efficacy of Advancement business processes;
• Masters' Degree
• Experience as a university Director of Advancement
• 10 years' experience in higher education preferred
• Project Leadership experience
• Agile Methodologies (Scrum, Kanban)
UNCG's Advancement ERP environment includes a number of third party applications. While the BPM-ADV may not be familiar with these applications, UNCG prefers the incumbent in this position to have some operational experience or familiarity with some or all of these applications:
• CampusCall by Ruffalo Cody
• Banner Workflow;
• document management and imaging (Banner Document Management, Perceptive
Content/ImageNow, or other Ellucian partner);
• Reporting software (WebFOCUS, Argos, Cognos, Tableau, Rapid Insight, or other);
Tenure Status N/A
Recruitment Range Commensurate with experience
Org #-Department Banner ENGAGE - 10103
Job Open Date 07/28/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu