Director Confucius Institute
Webster University seeks an experienced and collaborative administrator to serve as Director of the Confucius Institute at Webster University, providing oversight and direction of the educational and cultural activities and programs of the Confucius Institute. The Confucius Institute at Webster University provides Chinese language instruction, teacher training, and cultural events for the Webster University campus and the St. Louis region. The Director works collaboratively with Webster’s Chinese university partner in developing and delivering programming. The Director of the Confucius Institute reports to the Vice Provost and is a member of the leadership team of the Office of Academic Affairs. Standard Scheduled, Days 8:30-4:30p, with some occasional travel and weekend coverage.
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Minimum 3 years of supervisory/managerial experience
• Demonstrated experience working with diverse cultures; experience with faculty, staff and students of diverse cultures in a university setting preferred
• Experience in program development, implementation, and evaluation in a university or nonprofit setting
• Experience developing and managing budgets; grant writing and management skills a plus
• Experience in delivering training, events, and cultural programming
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong cultural awareness and intercultural communication skills
• Ability to interact with and work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders, including administrators, students, parents, grantors, and international partners
• Ability and willingness to travel
• Proficiency in Chinese a plus
• Understanding of Chinese culture and history a plus
• International work or study experience a plus
• Experience in delivering (language) teacher training a plus
• Master’s degree preferred
Typical of an office environment; may require some travel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities*
• Oversee the activities and programs of the Webster University Confucius Institute (CI)
• Facilitate the CI Board of Directors, including regular communication and reports and meeting preparation
• Collaborate with the CI’s Chinese university partner in developing and delivering educational and cultural activities and events for the Webster campus and the St. Louis community
• Supervise and support professional development of CI staff
• Work collaboratively with the CI’s Chinese director and visiting teachers from the Chinese university partner to deliver language programming at Webster University and in high schools
• Oversee the delivery of teacher training for teachers of Chinese in the St. Louis area
• Manage the CI’s operations and budgets in compliance with University processes and policies and in compliance with the requirements of CI Headquarters in China
• Maintain communications with CI Headquarters and the Chinese university partner; represent Webster University at the annual Confucius Institute Conference in China
• Promote the CI within the Webster University community and externally in the St. Louis regional area; oversee the CI website and marketing materials, attend local events, and be an advocate for CI activities and events on and off campus
• Engage with business and nonprofit community in the St. Louis region to identify opportunities for CI language and culture offerings
• Engage with faculty, staff, and students at Webster to promote CI activities and programs, including student and faculty exchanges in China
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities*
Teaching assignments at Webster University may be included in the contract consistent with academic credentials and experience.
Webster University is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to maintaining a culturally and academically diverse faculty and staff of the highest caliber. Accordingly, Webster University provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, ethnicity, age, protected veteran or disabled status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.