Instructor / Assistant Professor of Nursing
Job Description Summary
This position is for someone who wishes to provide high quality classroom, campus lab, and clinical instruction in a well-respected, highly competitive nursing program. The teaching load is equivalent to 30 semester hours across the fall and spring semesters.
Georgia Highlands is a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for the individual selected to grow with us. With a focus on employee wellness and development, the culture is warm and embracing, while the work is fast paced and challenging. Regular fulltime staff, administrators, and faculty enjoy the abundant array of University System health, retirement, and other benefits which includes tuition assistance after six months of employment. Additionally, GHC is a qualifying employer under the Department of Education Public Service Loan Forgiveness program (PSLF). This program provides student loan repayment and forgiveness for qualifying loans for eligible full-time employees. See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.
This is an excellent opportunity to impact the lives of literally thousands of students and their families.
A minimum of a Master’s degree in nursing is required. Doctoral degree is a plus. Must be licensed in the state of Georgia. Previous teaching experience is a plus. Flexibility needed to teach clinical as assigned (day, evening, weekends). Nursing experience in Pediatric or OB preferred.
Each faculty member is expected to participate in the development, organization, implementation, and evaluation of the nursing curriculum. Faculty are also expected to participate in college committees, advising, and assessment activities. All nursing courses include classroom theory, campus laboratory, and clinical experiences. Responsibilities of a full-time faculty member include, but are not limited to:
• Preparing and presenting current, well-researched course content, implementing a variety of teaching strategies, to meet faculty identified course objectives
• Maintain the professional knowledge base needed to help learners prepare for contemporary nursing practice
• Create opportunities for learners to develop critical thinking and clinical reasoning skills
• Show enthusiasm for teaching, learning, and nursing that inspires and motivates students
• Revise the curriculum based on assessment of program outcomes, learner needs, and societal and health care trends
• Participate in campus laboratory instruction and evaluation of students for skills check-offs
• Participate in all course-related functions such as test administration, grading, test review, project grading, student teaching evaluations, etc.
• Provide for clinical instruction including making student assignments, preparing for client care, pre and post conferences, grading of clinical paperwork, and evaluation of students
• Announce and maintain regular office hours, dedicating at least 10hrs per week to assisting students
• Develop collegial working relationships with students, faculty colleagues, and clinical agency personnel to promote positive learning environments
• Create and maintain community and clinical partnerships that support educational goals
• Participate in academic advising to help students meet their professional goals
• Participate in the extended work of the college through participation in committees of the college or faculty; student organizations; attendance at division meetings, nursing faculty meetings, general faculty meetings, in-service training, and graduation
• Participate in continuing education activities designed to enhance teaching or clinical knowledge
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Possession of a valid nursing license in the state of Georgia
• Knowledge and experience with curriculum development/revision, course development, academic evaluation of program and students, and general teaching/nursing theory.
• Experience sufficient to understand and employ the appropriate use of online and in-class instructional technology
• Experience with course management in a web-mediated learning management system
• Organizational ability to keep accurate and timely records
• Time management skills
Special Instructions To Applicants
Attach unofficial transcripts with your application. Official transcripts will be required upon offer of employment.
Position is in the associate degree nursing program at the Rome campus. Master’s degree in nursing required. Must be a licensed RN in Georgia.
Two or more years of clinical experience in pediatrics preferred. Previous classroom and/or clinical teaching experience preferred.