Research Grants and Contracts Manager - Office of Research
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint a Research Grants and Contracts Manager reporting directly to the Associate Director of Research Administration.
The Research Grants and Contracts Manager is responsible for the review of proposals and negotiation of acceptable terms to ensure they are in line with sponsors for sponsored contracts. The Manager will provide specialist advice on complex contractual issues and will manage the University’s policy for preferred terms and conditions for research and research related agreements.
The Manager will establish performance standards and proactive processes such that the interface between NYU and various sponsors do not repeat the same negotiations over time. They will also be required to manage all aspects of contract administration, which includes sub recipient monitoring. Ensure agreements issued by NYUAD are appropriate and reflect up-to date institutional policies. Consult with the Contract Office, Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) and the NYUAD Legal Office as part of NYU's research administration initiative. Perform as an ad hoc member of the Cost Analysis team, working on fringe benefit analysis, tuition remission, indirect cost calculation, and etc. Help develop and provide training to the NYU research community in conjunction with the Contract Office, OSP and the CDV Manager, NYU's Sponsored Research Subcontracting process.
The Research Grants and Contracts Manager plays a critical role within the Research Administration Office reporting to the Associate Director of Research Administration and working closely with faculty and various offices in NY and Abu Dhabi. The position supports the process of applying to external grants, the negotiation of appropriate terms and conditions, the putting in place of collaboration agreements where necessary, and to represent the University internally and externally as appropriate.
- Draft, prepare and review a range of contracts and assist faculty in proposal submissions. Perform in-depth review and analysis of all agreements received for negotiation or execution: analyze terms and conditions of specific agreements and ensure compliance with applicable regulations, identify risks, liabilities or gaps in information; consult with faculty responsible sponsored agreements, members of OSP, and School and departmental administrative personnel, NYUAD Counsel and the Office of Industrial Liaison regarding contract related issues as needed
- Conduct formal negotiations with sponsors to ensure consistency with University requirements. Long term and on-going sponsor requirements, as reflected in prior agreements and precedents, will have to be understood. Ensure consistency with on-going sponsor requirements established by prior agreements and precedents
- Manage disputed contractual clauses, consulting with relevant stakeholders at NYU and NYUAD to resolve the dispute
- Supervise administrator by correctly identifying various types of sponsored agreements, writing sub-award agreements, ensuring all necessary documentation are received, and, on a case-by-case basis, determine which additional terms and conditions should be included in such agreements
- Advise administrator in resolving issues/complaints from clients regarding terms and conditions of contracts (i.e. - determining what needs to be added or removed from the contract). Create and maintain tracking system to help NYU meet its federal audit obligations
- Identify and prioritize assignments to ensure deadlines are met
- Develop analyses and reports that monitor NYU's performance and compliance with mandated requirements relative to consistency and costing standards; make recommendations for improvement
- Develop, support and deliver trainings to the research administration audience. On an on-going basis, develop and develop faculty and postdocs awareness programs on various aspects of research and contracts administration
- Develop and maintain a reference Library of contracts and sub-agreements to ensure consistency of negotiation with sponsors; update and monitor changes overtime; perform periodic reviews of NYU's boilerplate; ensure consistency of terms. Perform ad hoc analyses (i.e., tuition remission, fringe benefits, time and effort reporting, indirect cost development etc.)
- Bachelor Degree
- MBA or Law degree
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a research university environment in contract drafting and negotiations of terms and conditions or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Significant experience negotiating agreements with a variety of industry, foundation and US federal sponsors. Experience negotiating subcontracts and monitoring subcontractors
- Strong knowledge of university research management fundamentals, including US federal Uniform Guidance
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written and analytical skills
- Ability to meet deadlines, work under pressure and understand and respond to the needs of a wide range of divergent interests
- Exercise good judgment, manage disparate tasks, and exhibit a pleasant attitude in a busy environment
- Specific legal training, and an understanding of contract boilerplate appropriate to institutions or higher education