Assistant Director Audit and Compliance - Sponsored Program Administration Post-Award (A1700463)
Sponsored Program Administration, Post-Award
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR AUDIT AND COMPLIANCE
*Current affiliation with the University of Illinois required.*
Sponsored Program Administration, Post-Award (SPA PA) is a unit under the Office of Vice Chancellor for Research (OVCR) at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. Sponsored Program Administration supports the research enterprise throughout the entire lifecycle of an externally sponsored project, from proposal submission to award close-out. SPA combines the offices of sponsored programs and grants and contracts office under a single organizational structure. The Post-Award office provides a variety of post-award administration functions in support of sponsored projects.
The Assistant Director will direct and coordinate activities and carry out responsibilities related to compliance with institutional policies and procedures, state and/or federal laws, and contractual obligations, with special emphasis on working with external parties, i.e. agencies, auditors as well as other University units.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Manage and provide leadership to unit and campus units in development and implementation of sponsored research award administration.
2. Supervise section personnel, assign duties, define responsibilities, prioritize and delegate workflow, develop and conduct training, review and evaluate work. Appraise and evaluate job performance.
3. Review University of Illinois financial records and supporting systems for compliance with federal rules and regulations to determine whether internal controls as they relate to sponsored project activities are adequate, effective, and functioning, and that the university is in compliance with institutional policies and procedures, state and federal laws, and contractual obligations.
4. Act as a liaison with external and internal auditors to facilitate the performance of audit requirements under the Single Audit and other sponsored project reviews and audits. Use knowledge of Uniform Guidance, university policies and procedures, and agency requirements to assist in the audit.
5. Assist with the retrieval of data and supporting documentation for internal and external audits and reviews using databases and university systems.
6. Oversee completion, for all three campuses, of the GAAP Reporting Package. This includes ensuring proper information is obtained from State agencies as well as internal expenditure data extracted to develop the report. .
7. Oversee the review of expenditures charged to unallowable and restricted cost categories for allowability under cost accounting standards and compliance with sponsored project terms and conditions. Coordinate the post-audit review of sponsored project cost transfers. This includes working with departmental Business Offices to support or remove questioned costs. Use knowledge of Uniform Guidance, university policies and procedures, and individual award's terms and conditions to make allowability decisions.
8. Participate in performance improvement initiatives, including development of supporting systems to ensure compliance with sponsored project requirements and related policies as well as providing training on compliance issues.
9. Assist in the review of sponsored project account attributes for accuracy when assisting with preparation of the Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards
10. Assist with the preparation and review of the Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards for the annual Single Audit, using data analysis tools.
11. Gather data and prepare responses to audit findings, special reports, and requests for information.
12. Represent office at meetings, audit site visits, equipment reviews and PI Single Audit interviews.
13. Participate in post-award compliance section project planning, training, communications, and determining priorities.
14. Assist in the development of post-award and University policies for sponsored projects by identifying areas where policies need to be developed and making recommendations for these policies.
15. Actively seek current information pertaining to sponsored project terms and conditions and University policies and procedures as they related to establishment/maintenance of sponsored project accounts.
16. Interpret and provide guidance on University policies and sponsor regulations to faculty, administrators, and sub-awardees. Serve as subject area expert in Uniform Guidance and other compliance requirements.
17. Serve as back-up in the absence of Associate Director or other senior supervisory personnel.
18. Assume other duties as assigned by the Associate Director of Compliance, SPA Post-Award administration. Minimal travel may be necessary.
Bachelor's degree with a concentration in Accountancy, Business Administration and/or Finance. Alternate degree fields will be considered/accepted based upon the nature and depth of the experience as it relates to this position.
Current affiliation with the University of Illinois. Auditing or compliance experience, preferably at an institution of higher education or other challenging professional environment. Minimum of three years in a position requiring utilization of financial and administrative skills in a complex business, academic, or government environment, preferably at an institution of higher learning. Highly developed communication skills and ability to work in an integrated team. Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office suite (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access) especially strong knowledge, experience and understanding of database programs. Strong interpersonal skills that reflect courtesy, diplomacy, and a collaborative approach to develop and maintain effective work relationships. Ability to be self-motivated, work independently and to exercise good judgment and discretion in the performance of all work assignments. Ability to multi-task and prioritize work accordingly to meet deadlines while staying on task with daily assignments. Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
CPA certification. Solid understanding of the framework of federal Uniform Guidance; knowledge and understanding of related Federal regulations and policies for the conduct of sponsored programs; familiar with State of Illinois regulations, policies and procedures for the conduct of sponsored programs. Knowledge and respect of policies and procedures outlined for the University of Illinois, OBFS, and department. Knowledge of Federal and State of Illinois policies and procedures for the conduct of sponsored programs; and knowledge of the University of Illinois.
Proposed Start Date: As soon as possible after closing date.
Appointment Status: Regular 100%-time academic professional appointment / 12-month service basis. Eligible for full University benefits package.
Applications must be received by August 14, 2017. To apply, all candidates must submit on online profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu by the close of the posting period. Qualified candidates must upload: 1) a letter which details qualifications noted above; 2) resume; and 3) the names and contact information for three professional references. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Salary is commensurate with experience.
For further information, please contact Susan Key, OVCR Human Resources, at email@example.com.
The University conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Assistant Director Audit and Compliance - Sponsored Program Administration Post-Award (A1700463)
Open Date: 07/31/2017
Close Date: 08/14/2017
Organization Name: Sponsored Prgms Adm Post-Award