SENIOR BUSINESS MANAGER - PEDS
SENIOR BUSINESS MANAGER - PEDS
Provides overall administrative management and coordination of various business-related functions including finance/budgets, human resources, space/facilities planning, research and education administration, academic and faculty support, and policy interpretation as the highest level administrator in the Division. Will work with up to 4 divisions, based on scope/size and other functional responsibilities Position reports to the Chief Department Administrator of the Department of Pediatrics Specific Responsibilities NOTE: The below statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
- Partner with Division Chief(s) regarding all leadership aspects of division(s), including decision- making, stewardship of resources, and communication to division regarding operational/financial plans and updates as they relate to faculty/staff.
- Serve as primary administrative liaison with faculty, administrative and professional personnel concerning University/PDC policies and procedures, personnel administration, clinic management, research administration, financial services and budgetary preparation, reconciliation and control.
- Supervise and coordinate work of designated employees; manage human resources activities to meet University, Departmental, and Divisional objectives; advise faculty on employment, salary administration, employee relations, and related issues as required.
Financial and Operational
- Oversee and manage the overall operations and financial performance of select divisions/programs to ensure appropriate and efficient utilization of resources to meet department/divisional goals and objectives across all three missions.
- Direct financial and regulatory operations within departmental and institutional fiscal and productivity guidelines; analyze and prepare annual budgets; manage unrestricted and restricted clinical practice, education, and research funds.
- Manage and create with department finance team academic and clinical annual PDC and Duke University budgets for respective areas, including annual completion of faculty effort distribution.
Strategic Planning and Continuous Improvement
- Lead and coordinate new business development and clinical practice initiatives. Identify, develop and execute cost reductions and service improvements in all three missions.
- Develop and execute strategic plan for division, including goals, tactics/initiatives and key measures, that align with departmental and institutional objectives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Proven innovation and initiative to anticipate, develop, and implement new procedures, practices, and processes adaptable to constantly changing work patterns and business methods, to solve unusual and new concerns using means, which establish effective and efficient precedents. Demonstrated ability to analyze complex situations, identify and analyze problems and develop options and recommendations for resolution. Proven ability to develop, analyze, and carry out project objectives and work well with others of a diverse nature in achieving organizational goals. Proven ability to research, gather, synthesize and organize information to produce concise reports using various resources. Strong leadership skills and ability to take responsibility for assigned areas and to gain the confidence of faculty, leadership, colleagues, etc. Excellent negotiation skills. Demonstrated counseling techniques with the ability to act as a facilitator, exercise diplomacy, tact, professionalism, responsiveness, a high degree of flexibility, and solve concerns between individuals in a fair and equitable manner. Excellent interpersonal, as well as written and verbal communication skills to interact with a variety of personalities at all levels, exercising tact, sound judgment, diplomacy, and flexibility to promote positive working relationships and job effectiveness. Proven organizational, analytical and management skills. Ability to work independently and follow through on assignments with minimal direction.
Preferred Qualifications: Master's in business, health care administration or areas with health care/business focus preferred. Experience in strategic planning, practice/operations management, and project management preferred. Strong leadership experience in academic medical center, specifically related to practice management/operations with a proven track record of building successful physician relationships and effective communication with key stakeholders (internal and external to Duke) Certifications such as PMP, Lean, FACMPE, or FACHE.
2354 SENIOR BUSINESS MANAGER
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting or a closely related field.
Work requires a minimum of eight years progressively responsible experience in administrative management, to include proficiency in budgeting, grants and contracts, personnel supervision and space and facilities management. A Master's degree in Business Administration, Hospital Administration, Accounting or a closely related field may substitute for two years of required experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.