LAB RESEARCH ANALYST II
LAB RESEARCH ANALYST II
Duke Human Vaccine Institute - Admin
RESEARCH ANALYST II, DHVI
The Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI) continues to lead with cutting edge research to combat infectious diseases that impact global health. The investigators at the DHVI conduct basic and translational research to develop novel vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostics for diseases such as HIV-1, tuberculosis, influenza, malaria, Ebola, cytomegalovirus, Zika, etc.
With a new Pandemic Prevention Program (P3), we will be combining DHVI investigator's world-class expertise in virology, immunology and clinical good manufacturing practice (CGMP) to create a fully integrated platform capable of responding to a viral pandemic threat. One aspect of the program will focus on virus isolation, propagation and quantification and is led by the Manager of the RBL Virology Unit.
We are recruiting a Research Analyst II to work with the Virology Manager to oversee and perform the day-to-day research laboratory activities to meet the specific goals of this exciting new DHVI program:
- Manage and perform day-to-day research activities to meet the scientific goals of the program.
- Design experiments, manage and complete assigned studies and projects, perform assays as required, and provide related training and support to lab personnel.
- Evaluate and interpret collected data and prepare reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Confer with principal investigator/unit manager in developing plans for research projects and to discuss the interpretation of results and the preparation of scientific manuscripts for publication.
- Review journals, abstracts and scientific literature to keep abreast of new developments and to obtain information regarding previous experiments to aid in the design and development of original procedures and techniques.
- Manage and complete all assigned tasks/projects in accordance with standardized operating procedures and in full compliance with safety protocols.
- Complete and maintain necessary documentation of raw data and research activities according to standardized record keeping in real time.
- Oversee project ordering, inventory, equipment maintenance, and general laboratory organization while ensuing appropriate cost compliance.
- Manage junior level technician including oversight of training, completion of tasks and project management.
- Required to fully perform all tasks associated with animal models of viral infection in multiple species including but not limited to ferrets.
- Perform additional duties as requested by Virology Unit Manager and Scientific/Administrative Directors.
Bachelors' degree in biology, virology, microbiology or other related scientific field, Masters' degree preferred.
4 years related virology or microbiology research.
The successful applicant must be eligible for and willing to:
- Complete external certification for independent work at BSL3 and ABSL3
- Work with infectious biological agents (viruses) handled at BSL2 and BSL3
- Work with infected animals handled at ABSL2 and ABSL3
- Comply with vaccination requirements
- Complete Tier 1 Select Agent registration
1215 LAB RESEARCH ANALYST II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or other directly related scientific field.
Work requires four years of research experience. A related master's degree may substitute for two years of the required experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.