TH Instructional Support Assistant, Patient Service Center
TH Instructional Support Assistant, Patient Service Center-1702282
Duties of a Instructional Support Assistant in the Patient Service Center for the Department of Laboratories may include the following but are not limited to:
- Will provide information to patients, hospital staff, community physicians, agency and institutional clients related to laboratory testing, specimen collection, laboratory services, result reporting and specimen tracking. This includes daily faxing and sending of laboratory reports.
- Will provide patient services to include LSARD and outpatient registration processes. These functions include knowledge of insurance providers, billing codes, order entry, Sunquest laboratory information systems, result reporting, crediting functions and discharging per University Hospital policies and procedures to conform to regulatory agency mandates which ICD-10 CM billing codes, medical necessity and medicare questionnaires.
- Will handle all processing of biological specimens in the optimal way to assure specimen integrity and maintain all safety regulations as per established procedures.
- Must demonstrate competency with both Department of Laboratories Information System, Sunquest and Cerner patient management systems.
- Will assist all clients with problem resolution and provide prompt and accurate resolutions to service issues, testing problems and billing concerns.
- Will maintain all records and patient files in accordance with University Hospital and departmental policies and procedures. These will include regulatory agency mandates of labs from NYSDOH, CAP and JCAHO, etc.
- Will act as a liaison for courier services, to identify concerns and help arrange these services to meet departmental needs.
- At times, may be required to perform phlebotomy and specimen collection procedures to insure proper collection and processing of patient specimens per established standards.
- Will maintain adequate supplies and alternate stock to obtain maximum benefits, will order and distribute supplies to outreach clients.
- Will maintain all measures of quality control as related to the patient and customer services centers.
- Will willingly rotate between the Customer Service Center, the Patient Service Center, and off-site areas and work hours to meet departmental needs.
Required Qualifications: Minimum one year phlebotomy experience and phlebotomy certification. Knowledge of hospital and/or laboratory computer systems.
Preferred Qualifications: Phlebotomist experience and customer service experience in a clinical health care setting. Knowledge of LIS ,Sunquest and Cerner Patient management information systems, Powerchart. Knowledge of patient registration procedures, regulatory and compliance mandates, insurance providers and billing information.
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: TH Instructional Support Assistant
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Patient Service Center, Department of Laboratories-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift variable- anytime between 7:00 AM to 6:00 PMPatient Service Center, Department of Laboratories-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Jul 31, 2017
Posting End Date: Aug 30, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate With Experience
Salary Grade: SL1