University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Office of Grants and Contracts
Position #736520 - Requisition #10516
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Office of Grants and Contracts has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Accounting and Finance Manager position.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
This position has the responsibility for the effective functioning of the awards review and set-up group within the Office of Grants and Contracts. This is a working supervisor's role responsible for the review and set-up in the G/L of all incoming awards including the set-up of any necessary cost share documentation. This position is also responsible to ensure the processes are being carried out as documented and these processes are meeting the effectiveness measures of the department. On-going process improvement is also a responsibility of this position. Reviewing and translating the more complex awards involves being able to identify appropriate contractual terms and properly characterize them so that they can be translated into the data elements values in the General Ledger that determines many complex accounting treatments including, but not limited to invoicing, F&A application, revenue recognition, management financial tracking. None of these issues are clear-cut and require understanding how the system will treat various data elements to ensure proper accounting treatment of the various items above.
- Review in-coming awards to ensure they are ready to be established in the UCD research/financial systems and all necessary contractual information has been identified, characterized and properly translated so that this data may be entered in the General Ledger System.
- Review awards for any language that would indicate that the University has a cost share as part of an award. Once identified, the type of cost share has to be determined. This is often not clear and understanding the overall deliverables of the award may be the only indication that a cost share obligation may have been implied and therefore incurred by the University.
- Assist with the actual input of award data in the General Ledger system as needed to meet performance metrics. This is mainly the responsibility of the staff that reports to this position, but this person will also need to help with all aspects of review and set-up if needed to meet performance metrics.
- Supervise and mentor employees responsible for award receipt, review and project set-up. In doing so, this supervisor is responsible for the development of management strategies to effectively facilitate the establishment of awards in the UCD financial and information systems and to make available resources to the faculty for the conduct of research and education.
Salary and Benefits:
Hiring salary has been established as $65,000
This position is not eligible for overtime compensation
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- A bachelor's degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting , education, social sciences, healthcare administration, public administration, communications, information systems, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- Experience working with Grants and Contracts within an institution of higher education or related field
Special Instructions to Applicants:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by August 14, 2017. Those who do not apply by August 14, 2017 may or may not be considered.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) 4. Transcripts
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60067 - ADM-VCR OGC Administration
Posting Date: Jul 31, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sara Esau
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00736520