Staff Assistant, Career Counselor
Staff Assistant, Career Counselor
The Career Services Office assists a diverse student body in the process of developing, evaluating and initiating their career plans. Our primary focus is on the undergraduate student experience. Services are also provided to graduate students and alumni.
Assist the Director in providing career counseling and programs for undergraduate, graduate and alumni of the University.
This is an exempt, APA unit position and is subject to the terms of that union agreement.
Position Type: APA Professional
• Plan and implement assessment efforts that inform data driven decision making for programming
• Develop and implement intentional programs, services and activities that will meet the unique needs of ALL student populations
• Utilize diversity and social justice practices to promote student success as it relates to the core duties of this position
• Provide individual and group career counseling and advising to students and alumni
• Plan and present career-related workshops and programs
• Manage the Student Ambassador Program and supervise student ambassador volunteers
• Develop partnerships with faculty and alumni through Career Panel presentations
• Act as point person regarding day-to-day coordination of the use of various social media platforms to market and advertise Career Services events and programming, (ie: Instagram, Face Book, Linked In and Twitter)
• Utilize technology and other career resources to assist clients in meeting their career goals and/or career transition
• Help plan and assist in networking events for students, alumni and employers
• Promote CSO services and resources to first year students and encourage them to utilize the office
• Utilize career interest, skill, and personality inventories
• Perform occupational and industry research
• Maintain and develop departmental web site sections as assigned
• Produce written materials including marketing material, handouts and publications
• Participate in various campus wide events, committees and search committees as assigned
Some evening hours are required.
1. Bachelors degree.
2. One to three years of experience in a college/university career services office or graduate assistant or related field outside higher education
3. Experience with career counseling and utilizing, administering and interpreting career assessment tools such as FOCUS2, Discover, SDS, etc.
4. Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to effectively lead small and large groups
5. Ability to work effectively as a team with career professional, clerical staff, administrative personnel and students
6. Significant experience with computer software programs required. Including: Microsoft Office Suite: (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ACCESS) as well as desktop and web publishing experience, Publisher
7. Experience with and commitment to issues of diversity within the workplace
8. Strong organization and planning skills and the ability to manage and prioritize many projects and tasks simultaneously
1. Masters degree in Counseling or Student Personnel/Higher Education Administration or related field.
2. Knowledge of career resources, current trends and issues relating to graduate students and career transitions preferred.
3. Experience working with graduate students, alumni, and adult/non-traditional populations
4. Knowledge of Publisher and usage of social media preferred
Bridgewater State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employee with disabilities.
Office activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and interaction with computer equipment; Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 5 pounds.
Special Conditions for Eligibility:
Please be aware that employment at Bridgewater State University is contingent upon completion of a successful background check.
Salary Range: $45,000 - $48,000
Posting Number: S00238P
Open Date: 07/24/2017
Close Date: 8/31/2017
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please note the following information is required to complete your application for this position:
*a minimum of one (1) employment history entry.
*a minimum of three (3) professional reference entries.
To apply, visit https://jobs.bridgew.edu/postings/8219
Bridgewater State University (BSU) is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer which actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workforce. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people.