Director, National and Internation Fellowships
The Office of National and International Fellowships at Occidental College is committed to ensuring the success of current students and alumni who would like to pursue award and fellowship opportunities in and outside of the U.S. Housed in the Hameetman Career Center (along with Career Services, and Pre-Health Advising), the Director of National and International Fellowships will work closely with faculty and students to continue our trajectory of success through tailored outreach, sound administration, and excellent advising. The Director of National & International Fellowships will directly mentor Occidental College students and alumni as they focus on their academic and career goals by applying for national and international scholarships and fellowships. Thus, we are seeking a highly experienced and visionary leader who can maintain the trajectory of success and infuse innovation and efficiency in fulfilling the responsibilities of the office.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND GOALS
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by an individual assigned to this job. Other duties may be assigned.
- Acts as the first point of contact and primary advisor for all national and international fellowship opportunities
- Supports applicants through the creation and maintenance of online fellowship information and application writing resources
- Advises on letter of recommendation writer selection
- Provides guidance and feedback on application materials including essays
- Provides feedback on letters of recommendation
- Conducts interview preparation and convenes appropriate interview panels for fellowship candidates; provides fellowship interview advising and mock interview debriefing feedback
- Trains faculty/staff awards committee participants including the faculty National Awards Committee
- Creates co-curricular programming such as application writing workshops, proposal development workshops, peer feedback workshops, and skill mapping activities
- Connects national awards and fellowship opportunities to post-graduate career trajectory
- Works with faculty and staff to identify candidates for competitive national awards (including Rhodes, Marshall, Gates Cambridge, Luce, Mitchell, Fulbright, Truman, CORO, and Udall).
- Creates and fosters relationships with other offices and units on campus such as Career Services, International Programs, the Writing Center, Community Engagement, academic departments, and Undergraduate Research
- Identifies quality students who are underrepresented and/or first-generation and encourages them to engage in the application process
- Informs Oxy student and alumni community of award opportunities through targeted and general email outreach
- Works with the office of Alumni and Parent Engagement to connect alumni to fellowship opportunities
- Explores and researches other national awards foundations to increase the opportunities available to Occidental College students and alumni
- Attends National Meetings and programs to keep current on changes to different awards, build a network of other fellowship advisers and to be up to date on latest information
- Creates and hosts information sessions highlighting fellowship opportunities
- Hosts and organizes fellowship representative visits to campus
- Creates an annual plan for clearly communicating fellowship opportunities for all qualified students and alumni
- Maintains the National and International Fellowships Office website and continues to develop an informative site
- Utilizes social media to engage, market, and advertise to Oxy Students
- Develops and manages the recruitment, nomination, and application process for all major awards
- Manages physical and digital fellowship application materials
- Where applicable, submits applications to foundations and fellowship organizations
- Administer awards, works with faculty advisory committee to interview candidates, advise candidates, and determine fellowship program direction
- Annually assesses the office’s goals and outcomes and reports
- Develops an annual budget to allocate funds to support office functions
- Maintains a database of prospective applicants, candidates and recipients of awards and fellowships
- Arranges and coordinates the Annual National and International Fellowships applicant celebration recognizing and honoring fellowship applicants and publicly recognizing faculty and staff contributions to fellowship activities on campus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- 3+ years of recent and relevant undergraduate advising for post graduate opportunities
- Proven commitment to the ideals of excellence and equity
- Able to travel on a limited basis
- Advanced graduate degree (M.A., M.S., or Ph.D.)
- Direct experience in an Office for National Awards or Fellowships
- Direct experience as either a fellowship recipient, fellowship advisor, student affairs, and/or grants administration professional
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position to email@example.com.
The deadline to submit your application is Monday, October 2, 2017.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
Apply for Director, National and Internation Fellowships
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly