Program Director, African American/Black Student Success Center
Job Title: Program Director, African American/Black Student Success Center
Job ID: 24186
Full/Part Time: Full – Time
Job Code: 3086, Range 1
Department: Transition and Retention Services
About the Position
Under the direction of the AVP for Transition & Retention Services the Program Director oversees all administrative operations of the center and will develop, coordinate, plan, implement, and assess educational and other programs that serve students of African American/Black descent and celebrate their heritage/culture. It will be incumbent upon the Program Director to develop campus and community partnerships that make it possible for activities to be sustained, including high-level collaborations with organization on and off campus. The Program Director will provide advocacy, support, and leadership development for African American/Black students. The incumbent will develop, implement, and manage policies and procedures relating to scholarship/grant money for African American/Black students, while developing strategies for raising additional funds; he or she will support affinity African American/Black groups and other programs for faculty and staff that celebrate their heritage and assist with creating a positive work climate; will work with Admissions on recruitment of African American/Black students; and will foster relationships at high levels with Student Affairs, Academic Affairs community members, and other professionals to refer students and provide academic and coaching to students.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee the daily operations of the African American/Black Student Success Center.
- Lead the work of staff supporting the center/program, including training and monitoring daily work and providing input on performance evaluations.
- Responsible for recruiting and supervising faculty fellows, graduate students, student assistants and interns.
- Exercise professional judgment and expertise in managing day-to-day operations, services and activities that require direct interaction with other areas on campus as well as a variety of community and other constituents.
- Develop short and long-term strategic plans for the center.
- Design, develop, implement, and of programs that create a “student success oriented” atmosphere for African American/Black students on campus.
- Evaluate comprehensive programs and services that offer education, advocacy, support and mentoring in effort to retain and graduates.
- Responsible for evaluating comprehensive programs and services and overall program effectiveness.
- Develop, implement and manage the peer mentor program for African American/Black students.
- Provide positive leadership and development for student, student mentors and graduate students.
- Collaborate with campus partners on events that promote multicultural understanding, academic success, alliance, and civic engagement and to provide quality programming, both in and out of the classroom.
- Assist in the development and delivery of high impact programs in relation to retention and graduation
- Assist with the coordination of outreach efforts with SOAR, Admitted Spartan Day, University Orientation Programs, and Weeks of Welcome.
- Create a space for social, cultural, and academic engagement for students, faculty, and staff.
- Responsible for chairing and leading the community building planning committee.
- Provide consultation and support the needs of students and make referrals to the appropriate resources on and off campus
- Oversees and manages the programs operational budget
To apply, please visit: http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/careers/jobs and search for Job ID: 24186.
Equal Employment Statement:
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.