Smith College is accepting applications for a Journeyman Plumber/Pipefitter. Under the direction of the manager of mechanical trades or designee the journeyman plumber/pipefitter is responsible for repair and maintenance of all the plumbing related piping systems for the college.
Install, modify, repair and maintain new and existing piping systems, fixtures, trim and valves including, but not limited to plumbing, heating, low and medium pressure steam, gas, air, sprinkler, chilled water, process piping, lab equipment and all related college piping systems. Open and clean out stopped and clogged traps, drains, els, pipes and fixtures and flexible wired plungers, pressure tools, etc. Perform pipe covering and other insulation work as required. Perform welding, cutting and metal fabrication.
Install all work neatly and in accordance with local, state and national code requirements and/or acceptable trade standards and as directed. Pick-up debris and clean worksite and/or shop area at the end of each project/shift.
Layout work, requisition materials and supplies as necessary to complete approved work orders.
Perform testing and record data as required. Observe OSHA safety regulations and practices at all times and participate in required safety programs. Participate in training sessions related to technical and personal performance and apply training to improve system operation.
Assist in analyzing existing systems and their schematics to suggest operating improvements. Work in support of other trades as needed. Perform tasks for academic events, community events and other activities as required.
Complete assigned project work. Drive college vehicles as assigned. Responsible for cleaning vehicles, inspecting for damage and performing visual check prior to using. Reporting any issues discovered to the supervisor immediately. Carry pager as assigned for on-call status. Responsible for maintenance and care of all related equipment. Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Must have a valid driver’s license. Must complete and comply with all college driving credentialing requirements. Upon award of this position, a Division of Motor Vehicles background check will be completed.
- Must provide own transportation to carry out college work, which is reimbursable according to the union contract agreement.
- Must be able to safely lift and carry up to fifty pounds. Must be able to bend, stoop, kneel, walk, stand, climb stairs and ladders and work in very warm/cold and cramped spaces for extended periods of time.
- High school/vocational diploma, GED equivalent or combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience, 10 years preferred in the plumbing trade as a licensed plumber.
- Must possess a current Massachusetts Journeyman Plumber's license as required by the state.
- Journeyman gasfitter, pipefitter, sprinklerfitter and/or other licenses, certifications desirable.
- Must be skilled in the use of and able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of all of the equipment, tools, parts, terms and systems related to the trade.
- Pipe welding, metal fabrication skills desirable.
- Must be able to wear uniforms, safety shoes, respirators and other safety equipment as provided.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in accessing the internet, using the college email and calendar systems, the work order system and trade related database systems.
- Must possess ability to multi-task and prioritize workload.
- Must not be allergic to materials commonly used in plumbing and steamfitting trade.
- Must possess ability to read and interpret blue prints and sketches, layout work and provide material lists when required.
- Must have excellent customer service skills and have noted ability to work well with staff, students and all members of the college community.
- Must demonstrate strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Must have commitment to maintain high standards of maintenance.
- Ability to use good judgment to take appropriate, independent action to carry out the primary functions of the job.
- Must have a clear understanding of the union contract and all college policies.
Review of application will begin immediately. To be considered for this position, apply on-line at https://smithcollege.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobID=41792&job=un0450-journeyman-plumber-pipefitter
Smith College is an EO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer