Cafe General Manager
Ada's Cafe in Palo Alto is hiring for a General Manager position to run its cafe and coffee program.
The General Manager is responsible for leading all team members in the efficient and profitable operation of Ada's Cafe. He/she is responsible for managing the day-to-day store operations, maintaining high store standards and conditions, and fostering a positive environment, which provides consistent fast, efficient, and friendly service ensuring a quality experience for both our customers and Ada's team members. The General Manager works alongside the Executive Director and Founder to create the tone and personality of the cafe by being an advocate of training, customer service, product knowledge and education, encouraging safe work practices, and a demonstrated commitment to our mission, philosophy and program.
- Helps to Develop and execute sales and profit plans that are in-line with budgetary goals.
- Ensures and is accountable for profitability of the store by growing sales and controlling costs of goods, inventory levels, labor, supplies and expenses.
- Maintains and utilizes daily, weekly, quarterly and annual financial reporting tools.
- Ensures proper team member coverage, scheduling according to the needs of business while maintaining target labor costs.
- Oversees all cash and media management functions. Able to perform all POS duties, front and back of house functions including opening and closing procedures
- Maintains proper loss prevention standards, reviewing cash handling procedures, deposits and safe procedures.
- Maintains a clean, well-merchandised store, following visual presentation plans and standards.
- Plans, executes and communicates all sales promotions and new product information effectively and efficiently.
- Identifies staffing, recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training needs of qualified candidates. Facilitates on-going training and development of current staff.
- Promotes and practices safe work habits, identifying and resolving potential safety hazards, operational inconsistencies and any team member or customer incidents. Documents accidents, conducts initial investigation and determination of root cause in the interest of maintaining a safe work environment. Conducts monthly safety meetings ensuring team member compliance in all safety initiatives.
- Is the Role Model for outstanding service
- Pro-active in solving customer problems and satisfying customers in various situations.
- Ensures that all team members are committed to and demonstrate our mission, philosophy and program
- Ensures that all team members provide customers with friendly, superior service on a consistent basis.
- Consistently monitors, coaches and encourages team members to meet the Company's service standards.
- Assesses and provides adequate staffing to provide efficient and friendly, superior service.
- Maintains high cleanliness standards consistently throughout the store in the areas of store appearance, merchandise and equipment.
- Ensures that all Company drink recipes and procedures are followed, maintaining the highest quality and consistent product standards.
- Ensures that all Company food offerings maintain the highest quality.
- Ensures that all team members are educated on our products and services, by developing an understanding of our various types of coffee, tea products, blends and roasts, as well as knowledge of coffee and tea regions, and the various differences in flavor and blends.
- Tastes drink and food products on a per shift basis for quality assurance.
Training & Development:
- Provides ongoing training and development to all team members in the areas of operating standards, customer service and product knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to lead, effectively communicate, and champion Ada's mission, philosophy and program
- Builds morale and team spirit by fostering a work environment where team members' input is encouraged and valued.
- Ensures each team member has received proper training to perform as a barista or shift supervisor efficiently.
- Continually develops team members, establishing specific performance objectives, and measuring team member performance regularly.
- Coaches and counsels team members for improved performance, documenting developmental plans as necessary.
- College education preferred. 3 years retail management experience required.
- Proficient on a computer; familiar with software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Must be able to work overtime, including weekends, evenings and special events as needed.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented and able to multi-task.
- Must have effective problem solving/decision making abilities.
- This position will require frequent standing and use of hands and arms.
- Must be able to lift up to 30lbs and frequently bend and twist from the waist.
- Frequently required to use hand and finger motions, handle or feel objects, reach with hands and arms.
- Must be able to adjust vision to both day and night lighting, and be able to focus on distant and close-range projects. Regularly required to handle food, hot beverages, and work with sharp objects.
- Must have excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
Ada's Cafe is a Palo Alto-based, 501c3, non-profit that provides training and jobs for both non-disabled and adults with disabilities in its cafe and catering businesses. Ada's is a true social enterprise with a mission to improve the lives of its disabled associates while showcasing their abilities to the general public in a business committed to providing the highest quality food, drinks and service.
The social mission of Ada's is two-fold: (i) to hire and train all of its employees, including its adults with disabilities, to work in its food-service businesses and (ii) to engage teens and young adults through work and involvement with Ada's disabled employees. The community benefits of empowering and employing adults with developmental disabilities - a population that is most one of the most marginalized in our society and within which unemployment is estimated at nearly 80% are clear, innumerable and easy to document with social science statistics. The self-esteem benefits that come from having a job, the satisfaction that comes from making a contribution and by reducing the burden on an already overwhelmed and under-funded social welfare system are just a few of the many community benefits provided by Ada's. In addition, Ada's believes that youth engaged in meaningful work will feel more connected to and invested in their communities. In all of its ventures, Ada's Cafe brings diverse groups of people together in a warm and welcoming environment with a mission of creating good food and community.
Palo Alto, CA
Fri, 28 Jul 2017 10:32:36 PDT