RESEARCH SPECIALIST A/B
The PennVet Comparative Pathology Core (CPC) provides expert pathological characterization of experimental animal models and currently supports several major research lines within the University of Pennsylvania and affiliated institutes. Particular emphasis is given to the comparative pathology of genetically engineered mouse models for preclinical application in the context of translational research. To pursue this mission, the CPC offers the expertise of board-certified veterinary pathologists and has established a thorough comparative pathology pipeline that provides accurate interpretation of the pathological changes developed in a wide range of experimental settings. The CPC represents a unique resource embedded within the vibrant and internationally recognized research environment at the University of Pennsylvania and closely related institutes such as the Abramson Cancer Center, the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the Wistar Institute.
The CPC is expanding its range of service activities to implement new automated techniques and tools that will enable increased capacity of the current comparative pathology pipeline and provide a more comprehensive support for the affiliated investigators. In this context, the CPC has an open position for a research technician/assistant who will be primarily involved in the establishment of an advanced tissue-based molecular pathology platform developing and implementing techniques such as immunohistochemistry, multiplex immunofluorescence and in situ hybridization. This role will be crucial for a comprehensive organization of all the activities of the platform enabling the development and application of effective, standardized and reproducible strategies related to the discipline of experimental pathology.
* Bachelor's degree in a life science-related discipline (or equivalent combination of experience, education, and training).
* Proven laboratory experience with the application of histological and immunohistochemical techniques.
* Keen interest for the preclinical and translational research field.
* Problem solving and troubleshooting attitude.
* Excellent organizational skills.
* Effective communication skills.
* Ability to work independently and handle several projects at any given time.
A level: 0 - 1 year of experience
B level: 1 - 2 years of experience
* Proven laboratory experience with basic molecular techniques for gene and/or protein expression analysis (e.g. western blotting and qPCR) is highly desirable.
* High level computer skills and familiarity with the implementation of good laboratory practices (GLPs) and quality control programs represent a plus.
* Previous experience in working with laboratory animals
Reference Number: 58-26467
Salary Grade: 024/025
Employment Type: Exempt
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: I-Technical/Professional Research