Communications Generalist - Sustainability
Working Title: Communications Generalist - Sustainability
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Facilities Management Department
Posting Date: 07-28-2017
Facilities Management (FM) supports the University of Virginia's wide range of research, academic and patient care programs. With over 1,200 employees dedicated to excellence, Facilities Management is responsible for the day-to-day operation, repair and maintenance of U.Va.'s buildings, infrastructure and grounds as well as other University-owned and leased properties.
Sustainability at the University of Virginia is interdisciplinary, multi-faceted and highly collaborative, encompassing academics, research, and operations and a range of topics ? greenhouse gas, energy, water, waste, food, and civic engagement.
The Communications Generalist- Sustainability, is a core member of the University of Virginia's Office for Sustainability team and will provide leadership in communicating University-wide sustainability progress, programs, and projects and engaging the community in sustainability through multiple modes of communication. The Communications Generalist partners within the Office for Sustainability and with others across UVA on overall sustainability communications strategies, maintains and develops the UVA sustainability website and social media accounts, and creates a range of engaging and timely content and engagement tools (such as articles, newsletters, newsletters, green tips, signage, and case studies) - all tailored to a wide range of audiences. The incumbent also drafts quarterly and annual sustainability reports to communicate progress towards achievement of the goals and actions outlined in UVA's Sustainability Plan.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Demonstrated experience in developing effective digital communication strategy and a broad range of communication functions, (i.e. websites, social media, newsletters, infographics, articles, reports).
2. Strong writing skills and demonstrated experience writing for publication.
3. Demonstrated ability to create and update websites.
4. Strong graphic design skills and demonstrated experience conveying information graphically.
5. Demonstrated experience working in a professional setting managing several projects at once, working independently and as part of a team.
6. Demonstrated awareness, knowledge, and strong interest in sustainability and environmental issues; ability to translate the University's sustainability strategic aims and programs into persuasive communications materials.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82410